CJ -360 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ -360 problems

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
smokinstang70

CJ -360 problems

Hey Guys...newbee here... I just bought a 78 CJ7, 4in suspension lift, 3 in body, 35 in BFG Mud terrrains, and an AMC 360 with side exhaust. I love the jeep, but I can't get it running right. I have worked on cars all my life, but this one is kicking my butt. I have set the timing 8 degrees advanced, I have rebuilt the holley 600 vac sec. and I have replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, but It still won't run right. It smells like raw gas coming out of the exhaust. I have adjusted the carb, but with little to no effect. I have headers on it and had an exhaust leak about a month ago, but I fixed it. Any ideas?????? thanks in advanced.

Also I am looking for several used parts. If you have anything to sell or know where I can post a classified, please let me know.
Walter - walter.dumas@gulfaero.com

smokinstang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Insure the firing order is correct. Stuck or mis-adjusted float, missing or bad power valve,missing jet(s),wrong gasket(s),mis-adjusted choke,excessive fuel pump pressure. Try swaping carbs to see if the problem goes away.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Crash&Burn

First thing I'd try a different carb........

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
redhat6161
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash&Burn
First thing I'd try a different carb........
i'm curious, what type of ignition system do you have on there? i put an HEI unit on my 360 and couldn't be happier... this was after i had the prestolite ignition previously, this is a notoriously bad unit. good luck with it.
redhat6161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.