CJ-2A rebuild, Would you do this to it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-2A rebuild, Would you do this to it?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

CJ-2A rebuild, Would you do this to it?

I've got a 1948, CJ-2A, picked it up pretty cheap, but has a LOT of issues...

One was the body was DONE, there simply isn't anything left to start with for reconstruction in any practical sense.

-------------------------------

This is $4,000 dumped on my front lawn, shipping included, and the guy has them in stock right now.

Would you spend $4,000 of your hard earned dollars on this STAINLESS STEEL body?

Would you go into hock for this body?

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I would leave it all nice and shiny and call it the Aluminum Falcon.

But really, $4000 is to hard for me to come by to dump in a CJ2a body and still have to finish a resto.

Are you doing this for someone else? I only ask because we know what your jeep looks like.

If you're doing it for someone else, they'll probably come out ahead due to labor savings.
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

It's mine. I wanted something for those 'Top Down' days and trips to the park kinds of things.

The little CJ-5 is my work pig, and it's all rust and wires, but it gets the job done...
The frame and axles are FINALLY done on the '48, it was a LOT of work, the PO's really screwed things up,
But it does have Scout II axles under it and some reasonable steering...

I don't care if the front drive shaft ever gets installed, this isn't going to be a trail pounder or work horse...
I considered not using a front diff, and leaving the transfer case out so I could use a reasonable transmission.
Just a weekend day tripper... Something to drive around and grin at the neighbors in...
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Is it just me or does the soft top on it also look like its made of aluminum?

Its like the jeep equivalent of a delorean.

Isn't there a cheaper way of getting a new body, like refurbing an original thats in better condition than yours? 4000 bones is almost enought to go buy another decent condition cj-2a and take its body away. And then you have a parts car.

Also, i was wondering, if the body looks that bad....what is your frame going to look like after it comes back from the blaster?
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I REALLY like the looks of that surrey top on that body!
Comes off in about 30 seconds if you don't want it...

Frame was in REMARKABLY good shape, the body sat full of leaves and trash for years...
Even the scrap steel welding job the POs did to install Scout axles didn't screw up the frame for me, it was in that good of shape...

Axles are good to go, gear ratios are even reasonable (3.73:1), so some new gaskets, seals, and the axles came right up to snuff, or I would have trashed the front and went a different direction.

Found a steering box that fit in PERFECTLY, didn't even have to change the Pittman arm, so that's covered,
And it's going to be around $2,800 plus shipping for a replacement steel EVERYTHING, plus prep and painting, which I don't do worth a damn...

New stock springs with 3" lift are laying here, but I'm thinking about long arms and air bags instead of springs since I have the room with the wider axles...
Maybe some stainless link arms?
I dunno, don't know how much I want to wrap up in this thing yet...

So figure $3,000 minimum for steel, $1,000 or so for prep/paint, and I'm back at $4,000 again...

I just can't decide if I want to spend that much, or try to scab together parts/panels on something that is already rusty,
*IF* I can find something that is worth starting with in the first place...

Time Vs. Labor Vs. end results.
I'm sure NOT going to run into another one of THESE anytime soon around here!

--------------------

Just a side note,
Can you imagine driving into the sun with that hood!
You would need a welding helmet to drive if you didn't cover the hood in something non reflective!
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

You could get a Ford 8n (I think) with an aluminum hood at one time. I'd agree on the body. You'll be out just as much patching the swiss cheese together.

It'll certainly stand out in a crowd.
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
whodatsCJ7
1978 CJ7 

I'd wheel it with the rusty body before I spent that kind of coin for an aluminum body. I think a CJ-2A looks better with an original body, anyway. I like it a lot. Just get it running and call it done
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

As a guy who just spent 2 years and over 2g's rebuilding a stock body for my 47 (resto, my 51 is my wheelin rig) I would definitely buy a new repop body. I am not sure I would fork out the coin for stainless though.

These rigs made it 60 years with a steel body, and in the next 60, most of them will never see the kind of life they had in the first 60. The new tub if even in regular steel, should outlast most of us!

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeephammer,

98blacksahara is right. Your time is money! I have worked on a number of jeeps... WWII Willys, WWII Fords, CJ2as and Wranglers. The body work is always the most tedious to do and it is so much work for so little. If you don't have the money, then you don't have the choice. If you have the money, I would spend the $4,000. When I do another WWII Willys, I believe I will start with a brand new frame and body... if I have the money.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
levergun
1979 CJ5 

I dont like it personally. To much bling bling.. Lol. And to spend that much for it? Not me. I also am for the idea of wheeling it while rusty. I personally like a vehicle with character a little better than I like the shine. That tub looks like it would match some 22" spinners........
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I just looked at the original post,
This is a STAINLESS STEEL body in 14 Ga, not the factory 18 or aftermarket 22 Ga. you often see.

I LOVE the brushed sides with polished trim edges! That is just SO COOL!

Anyway, think I'll pay off some of my mortgage instead of springing for this stainless body...
But it's COOL anyway!

Maybe if I win the lottery...
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think it looks badass man. i think you will win a lot of car shows in that sucker, even with a two wheel drive version. or you could paint it and still have an outstanding cruiser.

what ever you decide to do, just don;t regret not doing something else because of possible lack of funding. you'll always think how you should have done this instead of that.

a dude is selling a trailer he had custom built for his old jeep right by me.

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/tls/2840922746.html

you could use it to haul that stainless steel jeep to car shows, ha ha ha.
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Would I fork over 4 gs? Probably not.
Do I think it's worth that much? Absolutely!

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

IF you're not going to be installing full blown 4wd, why not drop a Flathead 8 in it, or boost the L Head?
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I like it JeepHammer, and I wonder if it is a body made by the MD Juan Company in the Philippines. They make the Repli-Tubs, like I have, and I know they offer a S.S. version for the CJ model body type but no one sells them here in the USA that I know of. Where did you happen to purchase that one?

Stainless Steel body CJ: http://www.vogtclan.ch/jeep/index.html

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.