CJ 258 Radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ 258 Radiator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

CJ 258 Radiator

Guys, I am hoping you can help me with an issue. I bought a radiator for my CJ last year and it did not have the offset brackets that sets the radiator into the grill area and allows room for the fan clutch and fan. So I ran without a fan clutch all year. So....... spring is near and i want to put a new radiator in. Have any of you had the issue described above? Where do I order a radiator that I can be sure allows for the fan clutch and fan? I want to go aluminum but I would like to stay somewhere around $250.

Thanks guys

CadCaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Sounds like you had a 4 cylinder radiator. They sit further into the engine bay as the engine is much shorter.

Buy one from a reputable supplier.

I favour brass type materials as they are better conductors of heat, aluminium is a cheaper material that is not as conductive but makes cheap radiators.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

I went through the same thing a few years back with my 85 CJ 7. I ordered a replacement from AutoZone and it was the wrong one. Sounds like I had the same one you did, it did not recess into the grill. I think they just order whatever part number shows up on the computer and that one is wrong. I took the original radiator with me and after looking through a couple parts books they had there we were able to find the correct one. The new one ordered was a direct match.
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
GuacaTex
1981 CJ7 

Replaced mine a couple of years ago. Outfit I bought it from specialized in radiators and delivered to my door on a Saturday! (That was before the price of gas went through the roof.)

When I initially looked it up on line, it wouldn't give me a match for a Jeep CJ. Only a massage to call. When I called, they asked lots of questions about engine, options, and location of hose connections. Apparently a lot of variation within CJ models.

Lo and behold - what they delivered was a perfect bolt in replacement. I even got an extra row of coil added.

edit: They're still in 'bidness. Still delivering. I'm in Houston area, but I believe they have locations nation wide. Web site is www.Radiator.com.

- GT
GuacaTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.