circulation issues with a 258 4.2 I6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > circulation issues with a 258 4.2 I6

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

circulation issues with a 258 4.2 I6

Last summer the jeep was running hot, replaced the stat and the water pump went bad shortly after, replaced it and shortly after the fan clutch went bad (bearings exploded) I replaced it. Ran fine for a while. My temp gauge always has ran in the green usually half way, now it might get to the c just on the edge of the green.
I flushed/back flushed the system, burped it and it still shows as running cool. I have noticed that the upper radiator hose (new W/spring inside) looks like its building up alot of pressure and leaks a little coolant from time to time and my lower hose seems alot cooler and dont seem to have as much pressure as the upper. This has got me confused so, before I throw a bunch of parts at it, I'd like to see what the guru's think.
Also I have replaced all the hoses, the heater core and the radiator

Ruthless1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

What temperature thermostat are you running?
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Its a 195
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Are you dead positive on the 195*? Mine runs where you describe when I throw the high-flow 180* in there. Wrong packaging?

Shawn
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

What PSI is your cap?

Also, run the engine with the radiator cap off and see if your getting a lot of bubbles in the coolant. Possible head gasket leak building pressure.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Its a stant 195 stat, 16psi cap and no bubbles when I run it.
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Humm... Thinking about it, my upper does not have a spring, while the bottom hose does. The spring keeps the hose from collapsing from the suction of the water pump intake. Your lower hose should be cooler than the upper. Water coming out of the engine in the upper hose is hot and under pressure, while the hose on the bottom has the cooled coolant in it and is under suction. By any chance is your lower hose collapsing?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

My lower has a spring in it also
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Ok. Just running different scenarios though my head...

I wonder if running a lower PSI cap would keep things under control? I had to go with a 12psi on mine. Do you run an overflow on the radiator?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Haven't tried a lower psi cap. Got a part # by chance? I do have a overflow tank.Also, would the fan clutch cause this issue? The replacement I put on was a little different. The one that was on it had twisted (turbine like ) fins and the replacement has straight fins and should the fan blade spin freely when cold? Just checked it and it only has a little resistance.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The fan design will not have anything to do with this. A good test for it though is before you fire it up, spin the fan blades and feel any "resistance". Warm the engine up, then shut it down. Try to spin the blades again. You should have some pretty good resistance if the clutch is working properly.

Go down to NAPA and ask them for a RC27 radiator cap. They should have it in the PSI you want. The AC Delco brand is much better than the Stant.

What are you running for coolant? 50/50 mix or just water?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Running peak 50/50. I'll try a lower psi cap and see if that helps and also test the fan clutch.
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Ok, got my hands on a 13psi cap. Hopefully it will help also tested the fan clutch. It has the same amount of resistance hot or cold. So, should I change it out?
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Yea, the fan clutch is not working. When cold it should spin with just a little resistance. When hot, it should drag pretty hard. So yes, I would replace it.

Your motor could be getting very warm from lack of air flow. The expanding water has to go somewhere.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Ruthless1
1984 CJ7 

Picked up a severe duty fan clutch. Going to put in on shortly. Also, I've already noticed a difference with just switching the cap. The hoses don't seem to have as much pressure, the needle on my guage has gone up some and my overflow tank is doing its thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.