Cigarette Lighter Wiring Photos? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cigarette Lighter Wiring Photos?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Cigarette Lighter Wiring Photos?

First off, I thought I could handle wiring in a Cigarette Lighter into my Jeep (found an original lighter online). After searching the boards/internet for a few hours on the correct way to do this, I found it to be a little more complicated then just wiring it directly into the Fuse Box. There were several threads that discussed how to do this, but not really any photos to go with the explanations.

That being said...does anyone have photos of how they wired their lighters into their fuse boxes? I found there were two ways to do this. Wiring through the fuse box with an inline Fuse, or fusible link or Wiring to the solenoid. Is their an advantage to the inline Fuse as supposed to the Fusible Link? Is there anything wrong with using a 10 gauge wire and just wiring it directly into the Fuse box? I definitely want to do the safe thing, so if the inline fuse or Fusible link is the way to go I want to do it.

I am definitely an amateur at wiring so photos would be a huge help. I'm basically wanting the cigarette lighter as a power source to charge my cell phone and other small devices.

Thanks In Advance For Your Help!

Boomer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If I remember correctly, there is a large (10ga) yellow wire under the dash that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
If I remember correctly, there is a large (10ga) yellow wire under the dash that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter.
Well, the PO had the dash completely rewired, so things arent exactly where the once were. The existing wiring is solid, but there are no extra wires hanging under the dash. Thats why I was looking to see if anyone had photos of wiring they did or was original to the Cigarette Lighter.
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

There's a red ignition wire with a little "L" shaped rubber end that goes on the cigarette lighter. I just fixed mine.
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The large yellow wire goes to the volt gauge
Agree on the red wire, with the 90 degree connector
. Its comes from the fuse block, and uses the same 15 amp fuse as the backup lights. It labeled B/U LPS. This is from my 1978 owners manual. It works when the key is in the on position..

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
. Its comes from the fuse block, and uses the same 15 amp fuse as the backup lights. It labeled B/U LPS. This is from my 1978 owners manual. It works when the key is in the on position..

Bill
I'll have to check the current wiring job since its been altered and see if I can identify the wires you are referring too...
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog

Bill
Ok I checked the fuse box, and there isn't a B/U LPS 15 amp fuse. There is an ignition/LPS 15 amp fuse, but no wire coming from it? Incidentally, there is one yellow wire coming out of the slot labeled clock, but there is no clock so no telling whats really wired in there.

I kind of figured this would go this way since the dash has been rewired at least once before I got the Jeep. Also, dash was missing the cigarette lighter, ashtray and glove box. So I figure the PO gutted those items a long time ago.

Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything. And thanks again for the help!!
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ran some 16 gauge wire from the lighter to the fuse box in an open slot. Grounded it to the dash and haven't had a problem since
usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3521
I ran some 16 gauge wire from the lighter to the fuse box in an open slot. Grounded it to the dash and haven't had a problem since
This sounds like something I can handle, how did you ground it to the dash? Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
John87
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer23 View Post
This sounds like something I can handle, how did you ground it to the dash? Thanks for the help!
some may disagree with me, but grounding to the dash is iffy. you would be better off grounding to the firewall, or an existing ground wire in the harness.
John87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer23

I mounted mine near the stereo. Put a screw into an open hole that was on the bottom of the dash. Grounded just fine. I agree with the precious post about grounding to the dash can be iffy. However i have never had an issue with it
usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
John87
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3521 View Post
I mounted mine near the stereo. Put a screw into an open hole that was on the bottom of the dash. Grounded just fine. I agree with the precious post about grounding to the dash can be iffy. However i have never had an issue with it
it really depends on whether there is a clean metal to metal around the bolt holes or if they are filled with paint/rust.
John87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Here is the fuse box schematic, if it is of any hep in working out where it comes from. It is on the 10 Amp ACCY fuse (Accessories, includes stereo, cigar lighter, cruise) and goes down a red wire.

The wiring diagrams show a right hand connector on to the back of the lighter and then a ground from the lighter to the black wires under the dash that earth various dash lights.

Hope this helps. As long as you get the right connection into the fuse box I would be tempted to look at an improved ground system for the dash and not rely on the steel structure of the dash panel.
84-86fuseboxsch.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I actually just tore my dash apart this evening and the yahoo that owned my CJ prior to me grounded the lighter to the dash. The clincher is that he/ she didn't even bother to scrape the paint off to provide a better ground.
Either way I am a firm believer that the dash shouldn't be used as a grounding location. Do what you want as its your rig, but I think many would agree not to use the dash.
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Boomer23
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep
Here is the fuse box schematic, if it is of any hep in working out where it comes from. It is on the 10 Amp ACCY fuse (Accessories, includes stereo, cigar lighter, cruise) and goes down a red wire.

The wiring diagrams show a right hand connector on to the back of the lighter and then a ground from the lighter to the black wires under the dash that earth various dash lights.

Hope this helps. As long as you get the right connection into the fuse box I would be tempted to look at an improved ground system for the dash and not rely on the steel structure of the dash panel.
So could I hook a 12-16 gauge red wire into empty slot labeled cruise in the fuse box? The wire that is coming out of the stereo slot goes directly into a bundle of wires for speakers and the head unit...

I have a copy of the wiring diagram which is sort of like a foreign language to me...haha, plus I have the Chilton guide for my Jeep but it's very non specific about Lighters and their hookups. So between that fact and since the dash was rewired I wanted to see photos of what folks have done so I could do the same. I'm trying to get a visual of the grounding and the wiring connection to the fuse box would look like.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.