Choosing a locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Choosing a locker

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Choosing a locker

So I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to set up my axles finally. I'm a bit blown away by all the options for lockers. How do you choose?

It seems most standard type lockers run around 6-7$, and the type that replace the spider gears run around 3-400$, with selectables up near 1000$. Then you have mini-spools which are pretty cheap, and full spools which aren't bad either.

The Jeep we're building is going to be our camping rig. We'd like it to be good on the road, possible going a couple hundred miles on the highway. We'd also like to play around in the dirt with it. No rocks and not much mud, just fun trail rides.

I'm thinking of doing a locker up front, or possibly a spool to save cost. And a limited slip in the rear (I'd like a selectable locker for the rear, but that's out of my price range.) Another factor to consider is I'll be installing these myself along with gears. Doing an entire carrier kind of scares me, but I have to do the gears anyway, so I'll suck it up and do it. However, maybe one design is a bit easier to set up than another?

So, how do I choose? Detroit seems to be the brand of choice for lockers, and Eaton is a good OEM quality that seems to perform well for LS. Does anybody have any advice for selecting? I guess the same question goes for gears too. I mean, how different can they be if they're all about the same price?

Unread 05-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

A spool up front will make steering very difficult. I wouldn't do this at all. Given your intended use, I don't know that you need a locker at all (unless you are getting a lot of wheelspin on your trails.) I think you could probably get away with a spider gear locker in the back and nothing in the front, or perhaps a Detroit locker in the back and either a Truetrac in the front or a spider gear locker in the front.

I have just a Detroit Locker in the back, and don't really notice it's back there until I'm off-road.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
A spool up front will make steering very difficult. I wouldn't do this at all. Given your intended use, I don't know that you need a locker at all (unless you are getting a lot of wheelspin on your trails.) I think you could probably get away with a spider gear locker in the back and nothing in the front, or perhaps a Detroit locker in the back and either a Truetrac in the front or a spider gear locker in the front.

I have just a Detroit Locker in the back, and don't really notice it's back there until I'm off-road.
Yeah I'd kind of ruled out a (mini)spool due to my intended use.

I think a locker in the front would be ok driving around town and to camp sites and such, because 99% of that time the front won't be engaged. I may look into just doing a spider locker though.

I've never had a vehicle with a true locker in the back, just LS. How do they do in the rain/snow/ice?
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

If you not in hardcore mud and not on rocks a limited slip rear and a lunchbox locker front is ideal. You'll get through most in
2wd and kick in the front axle for the nasty stuff. A twin stick t-case shifter is really nice when youve got something in the rear axle. You can run in 2 low with it.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
If you not in hardcore mud and not on rocks a limited slip rear and a lunchbox locker front is ideal. You'll get through most in
2wd and kick in the front axle for the nasty stuff. A twin stick t-case shifter is really nice when youve got something in the rear axle. You can run in 2 low with it.
Thanks for the advice. I was planning to twin stick. I've never had a twin before, but the whole idea sounds really cool.

So.. Does anybody have any insight as to how to choose which device? In any given type, there's at least half a dozen choices in brand, all pretty similar in price and all claiming to be the best. I haven't had enough experience to really make a choice.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Which style of locker will depend on the type of wheeling you do, and of course you driving style and setup.
A lunchbox style locker would be fine for mild wheeling with a stockish setup and an easy right foot.
A full locker such as a Detroit or ARB is much, much stronger.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Thats really up to your wallet. LockRight are cheap and pretty solid, anything from detroit or eaton isd going to be reliable beef.
If you can find a OE limited slip it could be a good option.
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

i am very happy with aussie lockers, i got them in front and back, cost me $265 each and simple to install. anybody could do it. yes they are lunchbox lockers but they have a very good track record, very very few has broken in the worst situations
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what's your budget? Looking at your post the question is whether or not you actually need lockers for the type of use you're referring to. And once you tear into the axles and have to do the gears anyways, I know it's tempting to go the locker route, but then I'd put the money towards a full case locker although it'll be more expensive.

Or go full case (selectable or not is a debate, but depends on choice and budget) in the rear and leave it open up front and as money permits install a front lunch box locker. A LSD defeats the purpose in my opinion ...

good luck in making YOUR right choice
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Asking "what's the best locker?" is like asking "what's the best beer?".

I like having my locker up front only. Unlock the hubs, and drive on the street as normal. Having the front pulling really makes a difference off road though.

I do plan on adding a locker to the rear also. With my light foot, light weight Jeep, and low horsepower, I plan on a lunchbox locker in the rear also.
A selectable is out of my price range,and a full Detroit is way more beef than I will ever need.
I do log a lot of road miles on it. I just hope the locker in the rear doesn't cause me too much headaches.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Thanks again guys. I think I may go with a lunchbox in the front and start there. Like I said, this isn't a rock crawler. I also don't plan to romp on it when I do take it off the pavement.

I couldn't find Aussie, but it appears they're going by Lokka now. Not bad pricing at all really.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go:
http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-13027.html

I've been running an Aussie in the front d30 on my Wrangler (hunting rig) for a few years and have run it through the gamut. No problems at all and is extremely easy to install.
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.