Choke problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Choke problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
bkeast17

Choke problem

OK, finally got the beast to run, it needed a new battery. So now it idles horrible which I expected. It has a manual choke put on by the previous owner, but I don't think it is installed correctly because when you pull the choke knob in the jeep and watch in the engine bay it does not move the choke on the carb. It is an 83 258 with the stock carter. I am planning to install an mc2100, but was just wondering how I could fix this for now so I could get it to run without dieing out on me. I think we flooded the engine because now it will not start, it just turns over but not firing. When it does start though it is real rough and chugs. I found a writeup before on manual choke on the forum but can't find it again.

Bill

bkeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

Have you made sure that the manual choke cable is attached and tight? You might want to start there. Also, if you get it running again. Push the choke open with you finger and give it some gas, and see if that helps out at all.

Mine is a little rich on start up, like it runs how you describe, after about 30 seconds of high reving driving, it warms up and runs great.

I really dont know what to say, that is all i have, sorry i could be more help.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
pyro9862

I have no experiance with manual chokes but I'll give you what I can think of.

Perhaps you need to pull it out and then pump the gas?

If that fails I'd look at the cable itself on the choke. Pull the knob in the cab. If you're moving the knob and the cable doesn't move then the cable is broken.

If it does move it's just an ajustment problem, you probably need to take up slack in the cable, or turn the choke one way or another. To set the choke turn the choke on all the way in the cab, loosten the three screws holding the choke on, and turn it one way or another untill the choke is just barley fully closed. You shouldn't have to go more than a half a turn in either direction.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
MeCasa

A manual chocke is a simple mechanical device, if he can't figure it out perhaps you need another type of vehichle

OK, OK, I'm a mean guy

But someone had to say it

Hehe, jus kiddin' dude
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.