Choke Adjustment/Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Choke Adjustment/Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-15-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
californiacj

Choke Adjustment/Problem

After replacing my valve cover last weekend I noticed the vacume hoses into and out of the vacume resevoir were disconnected and my electric choke was unplugged. I fixed the vacume line and plugged in the choke. I figured I'd re-tune the carb (BBD) since I now had a functioning choke and sol-vac (so I thought).

Here is what I came up with:
Fast idle set to 1600 RPM- no problem
Curb Idle set to 700RPM- no problem
Sol Vac vacume idle- couldn't get this set since the vacume actuator wouldn't pop out and hold when I disconnected/plugged the vacume line.
Sol Vac Electric idle- couldn't set because of the problem with the above vacume idle.

I'm not really concerned with the sol-vac adjustments (should I be?). I'd be pretty happy with a functioning choke and good curb idle, which I sort of have.

Here is my problem though, intermittetly once the motor is fully warm the choke will kick onto the fast-idle cam. Playing with it last night it seemed pretty random. The chock seems to work fine when cold. Any ideas?

Lastly, how long should it take for my choke to kick down? It seems to take over 5 minutes to warm up enough to get it off of fast idle. Think my thermostat is bad?

By the way this is on an '84 258 w/Carter BBD

Thanks,
Lance

californiacj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.