Chevy Heater Blower Motor - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Chevy Heater Blower Motor

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #31
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetracer View Post
Great thread. Will this chevy blower work in a CJ5 also?? Mike
Yes it will, so long as you follow what the first post member did.
Later, T.J.

JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Bought the PM102 motor today at Autozone - $19.99. It's a VDO unit but manufactured in China which concerns me. The motor is the same diameter except for the collar on the new motor, that increases the diameter is this a Chinese swindle?

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #33
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I was just noticing the size of the shaft bearing between the two. The one on the left looks like a roller bearing and the one on the right looks like a sleeve bushing.
The back ends look like the same setup. The one on the left shows the shape of a roller bearing and the one on the right shows no recess for a big bearing.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #34
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

I installed this last night. I removed the colar on the new motor because I saw no need for it. The diameter is still larger than the old moter even with the colar off so I needed to increase the hole for it on the firewall. I used an angle grinder but I am sure there are better methods I just didn't have anything else. I gues I could slide the colar back on now that it is installed but I don't really feel like there is a need. As far as the shaft goes I have no idea about them being a roller bearing vs. a sleeve bushing... but I guess I don't care because the fan slid on snuggly and perfectly like it did on the stock motor. After I finished everything worked amazing. This thing is an insane upgrade. I live in Colorado and it has been freezing here lately, so that is why I did this upgrade. I replaced the heater core as well because you have the whole thing out anyway so for another 30 bucks you might as well just do it. It was freakin hot in my Jeep this morning for the first time ever. The only thing is now that the motor is sooooooo much more powerfull it really pushes my alternator. So now I am thinking about upgrading the alternator. I have a sub, new 2 6 x 9 speakers, 2 5.5" speakers, an huge amplifier, a winch, hella lights, an aftermarket tach, and a CB. So I really need a bigger alternator. The new blower just really draws and exposes this need.
I have one question... the new blower motor has a hole in the side of it but it came with plastic plugs, I used the plug to plug the hole but do you need it open to help with cooling the electric motor or is it fine to keep it plugged? I just didn't want dirt and water to get in it.
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #35
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Better plug it so no stuff gets inside.

Some setups actually have the blower blow some air back inside the motor to keep it cool. Just like that ring you took off. It's a heat sink so you don't melt down your motor.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I found that VDO blower motor to be a bad downgrade from the PM 102 blower motor!

My windows take a 'lot' longer to defrost.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #37
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

Hey thanks for the tip on the collar... I didn't realize it was a heat sink. I thought it was just something the chevy blazer needed. So I slipped it back on. I guess I will have to take it off again if I need to remove the heating system again. I also plugged the hole with the included plug. I agree that junk could get in there so I guess I will take my chances on it burning out. Again this motor is awesome, it got into the 40's today and it was so freakin' hot in my Jeep after like a minute, I had to turn the blower off.
Also I guess I got hooked up at NAPA because I go the 655-1039 Premium blower motor for $23 dollars. I don't really know if that's good or not, or why it's "Premium", but oh well I guess. It is made in China which sucks, but I am pretty sure everything is made in china now.
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Okay gang, here's the news on this PM 102 purchased at Autozone VDO stickered (Made in China) beneath the VDO text comparison. I ran both the original motor that was in my Renegade with the brand new VDO tied directly to the batteries on my van. Running the same length and gauge of wire. There was no discerable difference in motor speed. Perhaps my means of testing was flawed, the best I could do was add a cardboard flag to the spindles and the apparent speed seemed the same. However the old, original motor with the flag attached pushed more air than the new VDO mic motor.
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

I am confused turbogus... so you haven't installed this yet, you are just trying to see if the PM 102 is more powerful than your stock one? Well your test may not be a good one because there are way to many variables involved, like you don't have it attached to the fan, the switch for the motor on our Cj's have variable speed settings which your test doesn't sound like it does, tying it directly to a battery on your van is not how the motor is set up if it where to be installed, etc. etc.
I waited to see if anyone else would respond but the only thing I can offer as advice is to do exactly what I did. Buy the 655-1039 Premium blower motor from NAPA, buy a new heater core, make a larger hole in the firewall for the motor, remove the heater assembly, disassemble it and remove the old parts and install the new ones, seal everything up on the heater box, reinstall it and you will experience some insane hot air blowing out like a hurricane. My blower motor is insanely more powerful than the stock one. I didn't get the PM 102 so all I can say is I am way more than impressed with the 655-1039 Premium blower motor from NAPA. It was $23 dollars so maybe instead of wasting all this time testing etc, just return the PM 102 and buy the one I got.
I just looked at your older post and I want to emphasize the diameter of my motor was larger than my stock motor even without the collar. What I did was remove the collar, enlarge the hole so that the new bigger 655-1039 motor could fit through and then re-installed the collar (per John Strenk's suggestion) after I installed the whole heater assembly. I will have to remember to slide the collar off if I ever need to remove the unit again, but it's not a big deal. Plus this saved time because I only had to enlarge the hole enough to fit the motor through not both the motor and collar. Hope this helps you out man.
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #40
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for all the resonses fellas, I'm clear on enlarging the hole (I've already made the jig for it and have the 3 1/4" hole saw ready to go. I've also clear on using the PM102 short shaft motor as opposed to the PM105 motor, as well as all the associated wiring. Also checking the shaft diameter it appears they are the same, just some error in the clarity of my photos.
I condsidered plurally connecting the fans up to the three way switch wiring, but not wanting to cut into virgin wiring for the sake of a temporary connection seemed unnessesary as I thought using a baseline of 12v and equivalent amperage was more easily obtainable by the means I used. I am open to suppositions that this test is flawed.
My aim is simply to make certain that the blower motor I install is correct so I don't have to remove and reinstall the heater box again and snake it through the mass of wiring underdash that I have for the audio, 11 meter radio, and amps for both. When I looked at the available fan at NAPA (655-1039) it was also made in China and looking at the motor case closely it had the same circumference as the stock fan (checked with a pair of calipers) what made the apparent differece was a sleve collar surrounding the motor about 1/8" made the larger circumference, by many other posts herein and other Jeep forums it was remarked that the motor itself is larger.
Sorry for my ongoing ponderance, I dig this is getting tedious.
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #41
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

AHA!
Finally found a pic of the correct motor. Note the motor on the is physically larger unlike the VDO Made in China unit I looked at;

Now my photo of the Made in China VDO unit (Note the collar is making it look larger)
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #42
kmm

To help clarify or add to confusion I went and measured my heater motors. The stock original measured 2.560" and the VDO (pm102) China measured 3.200". These measurments were the motors actual OD not measured over the heat sink (collar).
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #43
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

I am with KMM I just took the calipers to mine and got 2.597 for stock and 3.199 for the NAPA 655-1039 (diameter without collar). I realize that yes my motor is not the VDO (PM 102) but it is larger (without the collar) than the stock. Prior to installing it into the heater assembly I simply took the motor over to the hole in the firewall and drew a circle around it so I knew how much to cut out (without the collar on it), and once I cut out that extra metal I just took the unit and made sure it slid through the new cut out hole easily. Like I said in an earlier post once it was installed completely I put the collar back on but from the firewall side, so now my hole in the firewall is too small for the motor to slide through with the collar on and too big for the stock motor but just right for the NAPA 655-1039.
So when you said:
"When I looked at the available fan at NAPA (655-1039) it was also made in China and looking at the motor case closely it had the same circumference as the stock fan (checked with a pair of calipers) what made the apparent differece was a sleve collar surrounding the motor about 1/8" made the larger circumference".
This statement is WRONG. Unless your stock blower motor was already upgraded to the NAPA 655-1039 blazer motor. The the NAPA 655-1039 blower motor diameter that needs to go through the firewall is significantly larger than the stock one even without the collar. Check out my picture I slid off the collar for the NAPA 655-1039 and placed it over my stock blower motor. You can easily see that the collar is way too large to go around the stock blower motor. You can also get an idea of the diameter of the NAPA 655-1039 blower motor because that collar fits very snugly around it.
In post #41 are those your own pics? Because if you ask me the lower pic looks like 2 models of the same upgraded chevy blazer blower motors the one on the right looks like my NAPA 655-1039 and the one on the left might be a PM102. The upper picture in post #41 looks like a comparison between NAPA 655-1039 (left) and stock (right).
Hey and no worries on this getting tedious... I just want it to be perfectly clear that the NAPA 655-1039 motor itself is larger in diameter than the stock blower motor. The collar isn't what makes it larger the motor itself is what is larger. I installed this just the other day so all of this is fresh in my head and the NAPA 655-1039 blower motor has made a huge huge difference in my heating ability in the Jeep.

Just thought of something... what exactly is the caliper reading in inches for the motor you are trying to replace? Mine and KMM's are the same at 2.560" (2.597" for me but whatever you get the picture) without the collar. If your old motor is like 3.200" in diamter without the collar then I bet you it is already an upgraded motor from a chevy blazer like what you are trying to replace it with.
blower-motor.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #44
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Last night I took the 3 1/4" hole saw (I have no calipers at home) and it fit snugly into the existing hole. This tells me that a P.O. likely tried this upgrade before with a substandard blower motor, the label was painted over and even acetone didn't work to reveal where this existing fan came from. Notwithstanding, I have a new Made in The Great White North arriving today so I'll install and see where I stand. In the meantime I have prepared the jig mentioned on the Terry Howe page for hole sawing the firewall hole, so for the cost of postage I can mail this to someone attempting this upgrade.
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #45
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
how hard is the fan motor to get to? looks like it could be a real pain on my 85 cj7, does the heatbox come out hard?
thanks,
dave
Here's where the heater nutz reside;

this one's behind the air cleaner;

...and don't forget to remove all of the cable connectors from their mounting forks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.