Chevy Heater Blower Motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Chevy Heater Blower Motor

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
MuddyMules
1984 CJ7 

Chevy Heater Blower Motor

Just an update about the Chevy Blazer Blower Motor in a 1984 Jeep CJ7.

I just changed out my heater core and blower motor. Advance Auto had both in stock. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=35587 The part number for the stock heater core is 399210 for $37.00. I bought the blower motor for a 1973 Chevy Blazer six cylinder part number 35587 for $27.00. The blower motor was an exact fit to the existing screws that held it in. The stock Jeep blower fan wheel bolted right on to the shaft of the new motor. I did have to make the hole in the firewall about 1/2" larger all the way around for it to fit. I just used snips to cut around the existing hole and then a die grinder to grind off any sharp edges and then used a little touchup paint. I was amazed at how the fan fit perfectly and the difference it has made. It even has the same plug on it as the Jeep. No more need to vacuum any dirt up, just turn on the fan and it will blow everything out of the Jeep! Also, There is no need to remove the dash to change either of these.

1984 CJ7 Renegade - 258 4.2L, 5 Speed, 2" BDS YJ Springs with BDS CJ Conversion Kit, Weber 34 DGEC Carburetor, Aluminum Valve Cover, 73 Chevy Blower Motor, Bestop Supertop, Pro Comp XTreme Alloy 1079 Wheels, 33" x 12.5" x 15" BF Goodrich AT KO Tires, Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator and Gauge, Flowmaster 40 Series with Universal Catalytic Converter and 2 1/2" Pipe and still going.....

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/1984[/url]

[B]There is a $10,000.00 CASH REWARD for anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) that killed my cousin Blake Dickus and his stepmother Chynna Dickus on July 24th, 2006. Please contact the Franklin, Indiana Police Department at [url]http://www.franklin-in.gov/police/[/url] or contact America's Most Wanted at [url]http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=51938[/url][/B]

Last edited by MuddyMules; 07-16-2006 at 10:00 PM..
MuddyMules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Doing the same thing this week. Got a Siemans PM102 motor from ABC Auto parts for $22. I almost made the mistake of buying one with the same motor except the shaft was 1/2" longer. Anyone doing this be sure to measure.
tomthbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Hunt_Nevada
1985 CJ7 

Congrats & Thank You!

That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us. Looking forward getting it done in mine now....even though it is 100 degrees. Winter will be coming, and nice to know I can get that heat movin' on through the cab.

Unread 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

I think I only paid about 13-14 bucks when I did mine two or three years ago. Check autozone.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
MuddyMules
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt_Nevada
That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us. Looking forward getting it done in mine now....even though it is 100 degrees. Winter will be coming, and nice to know I can get that heat movin' on through the cab.

The anitfreeze on the floor made me do it now. It's 95 degrees here and I might put a bowl of ice on the floor and have it blow the mist on my feet!
1984 CJ7 Renegade - 258 4.2L, 5 Speed, 2" BDS YJ Springs with BDS CJ Conversion Kit, Weber 34 DGEC Carburetor, Aluminum Valve Cover, 73 Chevy Blower Motor, Bestop Supertop, Pro Comp XTreme Alloy 1079 Wheels, 33" x 12.5" x 15" BF Goodrich AT KO Tires, Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator and Gauge, Flowmaster 40 Series with Universal Catalytic Converter and 2 1/2" Pipe and still going.....

[B]There is a $10,000.00 CASH REWARD for anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) that killed my cousin Blake Dickus and his stepmother Chynna Dickus on July 24th, 2006. Please contact the Franklin, Indiana Police Department at [url]http://www.franklin-in.gov/police/[/url] or contact America's Most Wanted at [url]http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=51938[/url][/B]
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

how hard is the fan motor to get to? looks like it could be a real pain on my 85 cj7, does the heatbox come out hard?
thanks,
dave
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
how hard is the fan motor to get to? looks like it could be a real pain on my 85 cj7, does the heatbox come out hard?
thanks,
dave
It's not as hard as it looks. There are 4 or 5 bolts under your hood on the firewall that hold it in. After you take those out it's still a pretty tight squeeze to get it out, but it will come out.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
MuddyMules
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
thanks,
dave
First I drained the radiator into a clean bucket. Then I had four nuts to take off of the heater box studs that went thru the firewall in the engine compartment. It was easier for me to remove the battery and battery tray first to get to three of the nuts. There is one behind the valve cover that was a real pain to get to, just be patient. Remove the heater hoses from the heater core and the wire to the blower motor plug. Then remove the heater control cables from the box and the defroster vent. After that pull down and towards the rear of the Jeep on the top of the box. It should come right out. Take the heater box apart and just replace with the new heater core and blower unit. Make sure that all vent closers line back up with there holes and re-assemble. Re-install after cutting the hole bigger in the firewall to make room for the chevy blower. This all took about three hours including driving to the auto store to get parts. I took my old parts with me, just to make sure.

Unread 07-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

While you have it all apart you might want to consider replacing the heater core.
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #10
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb
While you have it all apart you might want to consider replacing the heater core.

and while you are at it, clean the squirrel nests out of the vents. i think the PO of my CJ kept it parked in the woods...
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #11
solitudetree

If you take the passenger side seat out, you'll have more room and you'll be grateful for it.

Also, check the fit of the hole after you enlarge it for the blower motor to make sure it fits correctly before you put the blower motor back in the heater assembly.
75 Jeep Wagoneer 360V8
79 Jeep Cherokee 258 six
[/FONT][/COLOR]
solitudetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #12
beastofacj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced my blower motor with one out of a YJ, I too had to enlarge the opening in the firewall, but now my defroster is like a leaf blower. Now all I need is a larger alternator to power it at full blast.
Unread 07-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #13
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

The only problem I had was the dual battery tray had to be raised for clearance.
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Does anyone have any pics of the cable routing? I did my YJ tub swap last year and finally replaced the YJ heater for my old CJ one (with blower upgrade) this past weekend. I have the defrost cable hooked up but there is a small triangular bracket/pivot with a cable going into the heater box and I don't know where it bolts to.
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #15
weprint

The Chevy blower motor has a cooling vent hole for the motor while the Jeep motor does not. I assume you must seal this hole to keep water and debris out. Does this cause any problem with the life of the motor? Thanks.
weprint is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.