JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Chevy Heater Blower Motor (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/chevy-heater-blower-motor-293665/)

MuddyMules 07-16-2006 07:12 PM

Chevy Heater Blower Motor

Just an update about the Chevy Blazer Blower Motor in a 1984 Jeep CJ7.

I just changed out my heater core and blower motor. Advance Auto had both in stock. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=35587 The part number for the stock heater core is 399210 for $37.00. I bought the blower motor for a 1973 Chevy Blazer six cylinder part number 35587 for $27.00. The blower motor was an exact fit to the existing screws that held it in. The stock Jeep blower fan wheel bolted right on to the shaft of the new motor. I did have to make the hole in the firewall about 1/2" larger all the way around for it to fit. I just used snips to cut around the existing hole and then a die grinder to grind off any sharp edges and then used a little touchup paint. I was amazed at how the fan fit perfectly and the difference it has made. It even has the same plug on it as the Jeep. No more need to vacuum any dirt up, just turn on the fan and it will blow everything out of the Jeep! Also, There is no need to remove the dash to change either of these. :thumbsup:

tomthbomb 07-16-2006 07:36 PM

Doing the same thing this week. Got a Siemans PM102 motor from ABC Auto parts for $22. I almost made the mistake of buying one with the same motor except the shaft was 1/2" longer. Anyone doing this be sure to measure.

Hunt_Nevada 07-16-2006 09:42 PM

Congrats & Thank You!

That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us. Looking forward getting it done in mine now....even though it is 100 degrees. Winter will be coming, and nice to know I can get that heat movin' on through the cab.

:thumbsup:

jeepsarecool 07-16-2006 09:57 PM

I think I only paid about 13-14 bucks when I did mine two or three years ago. Check autozone.

MuddyMules 07-16-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunt_Nevada
That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us. Looking forward getting it done in mine now....even though it is 100 degrees. Winter will be coming, and nice to know I can get that heat movin' on through the cab.

:thumbsup:

The anitfreeze on the floor made me do it now. It's 95 degrees here and I might put a bowl of ice on the floor and have it blow the mist on my feet!:rofl:

dave_dj1 07-16-2006 10:31 PM

how hard is the fan motor to get to? looks like it could be a real pain on my 85 cj7, does the heatbox come out hard?
thanks,
dave

jeepsarecool 07-16-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_dj1
how hard is the fan motor to get to? looks like it could be a real pain on my 85 cj7, does the heatbox come out hard?
thanks,
dave

It's not as hard as it looks. There are 4 or 5 bolts under your hood on the firewall that hold it in. After you take those out it's still a pretty tight squeeze to get it out, but it will come out.

MuddyMules 07-16-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_dj1
thanks,
dave

First I drained the radiator into a clean bucket. Then I had four nuts to take off of the heater box studs that went thru the firewall in the engine compartment. It was easier for me to remove the battery and battery tray first to get to three of the nuts. There is one behind the valve cover that was a real pain to get to, just be patient. Remove the heater hoses from the heater core and the wire to the blower motor plug. Then remove the heater control cables from the box and the defroster vent. After that pull down and towards the rear of the Jeep on the top of the box. It should come right out. Take the heater box apart and just replace with the new heater core and blower unit. Make sure that all vent closers line back up with there holes and re-assemble. Re-install after cutting the hole bigger in the firewall to make room for the chevy blower. This all took about three hours including driving to the auto store to get parts. I took my old parts with me, just to make sure. :thumbsup:

tomthbomb 07-16-2006 11:52 PM

While you have it all apart you might want to consider replacing the heater core.

IWantAGladiator 07-17-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb
While you have it all apart you might want to consider replacing the heater core.

and while you are at it, clean the squirrel nests out of the vents. i think the PO of my CJ kept it parked in the woods...

solitudetree 07-17-2006 04:34 AM

If you take the passenger side seat out, you'll have more room and you'll be grateful for it.

Also, check the fit of the hole after you enlarge it for the blower motor to make sure it fits correctly before you put the blower motor back in the heater assembly.

beastofacj 07-17-2006 05:18 AM

I replaced my blower motor with one out of a YJ, I too had to enlarge the opening in the firewall, but now my defroster is like a leaf blower. Now all I need is a larger alternator to power it at full blast.

tomthbomb 07-17-2006 05:22 AM

The only problem I had was the dual battery tray had to be raised for clearance.

jeepwhore 07-17-2006 07:40 AM

Does anyone have any pics of the cable routing? I did my YJ tub swap last year and finally replaced the YJ heater for my old CJ one (with blower upgrade) this past weekend. I have the defrost cable hooked up but there is a small triangular bracket/pivot with a cable going into the heater box and I don't know where it bolts to.

weprint 07-17-2006 08:12 AM

The Chevy blower motor has a cooling vent hole for the motor while the Jeep motor does not. I assume you must seal this hole to keep water and debris out. Does this cause any problem with the life of the motor? Thanks.

The time now is 09:31 AM.