Cherokee steering column questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cherokee steering column questions

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Cherokee steering column questions

I was at PandP today just to see what they had on the lot and I ended up finding a few items. I got a steering gear box from a durango, and a steering column out of an 80's something cherokee. I have a few questions on the column install.
I didn't take the intermediate shaft from the cherokee which was stupid, but I thought I had read it was too short and wouldn't work anyway. Is that the case, or should I go back and get one? If it doesn't work, what shaft should I look for?
On the install of this thing, does the flange on the end of the column actually bolt to the two bolts on the firewall of the YJ tub? The holes on the flange and the bolts on the fw are almost perfectly placed, but when I install it like that with the flange flush with the fw, the angle of the column is over towards the pass. side instead of straight on with the drivers seat.

Also couldn't believe it, but for the first time ever I found a YJ on the lot. It had been picked apart but still had the vapor can which I grabbed, and a family bar which I already have one. I didn't have the right sockets or a way to get it home or I would have grabbed it. For anyone close, its at the Winner Rd. Pick and Pull in Kansas City, Mo.

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I got a PM from a member here with a good write up with pics, but I need to add that I don't have a CJ or YJ column. The cherokee column is what I have to start with. I just need to figure out if I need to go back and get that intermediate shaft or if theres another one I need to look for. That YJ I saw was missing the column, and I've never seen another YJ or CJ on a lot. There are tons of Fords, Dodges, and other trucks at both lots to pick from.

Thanks
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

a column from ans-10 chevrolet supposedly works well. I haven't done it but several posts have recommended it.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I do have a column, I just don't have the shaft that goes from the column to the steering gear input, and I don't have any idea of where to start to find that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.