Cherokee Guy Q's About 85' CJ 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cherokee Guy Q's About 85' CJ 7

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Guy Q's About 85' CJ 7

So ever since I can remember I've wanted a CJ, my late father owned a CJ-5 and CJ-7 and I've always just loved them.

So the intro's done, here's the facts:

I'm 19 and in college.

I own a 2000 XJ, it's my daily.

I also have a very cancer ridden 1985 FSJ Wagoneer with a good 360 in it.

I've got about 2500 extra dollars that I won't be missing anytime soon.

And here we go: I found a 1985 CJ-7 for sale at a stealership. The owner is asking 2950 for it. It has the 4.2L in it with a 5-speed tranny. Miles over 100,000. Frame looks good from what I can tell, no rust on it, body is clean too except for under the rear tailgate, it's starting to develop some bubbles.

It's got some 15 inch D-Windows on it with a full size spare, poison spyder rocker guards, tube bumper in the rear, and custom steel bumper on the front end with two mini-stinger looking things on it.

The only down side that I can see that definitely stands out is that it does not come with doors and only has a bikini top. I live on the Coastal Bend of South Texas and spring is coming up which I don't think would be too bad of a problem to me.

So there is my story, and here is my question, are there any other things that I should look for on the Jeep that could signify that it is junk? Should I just invest in my XJ, (nothing wrong with it)? I don't know I really want it what do you guys think is it a good deal?

Here are two crappy pics of it that I managed to snap with my phone.

*1997 Gun Metal Blue XJ: DEAD

*1984 Mustard Yellow FSJ Wagoneer: SOLD
maddmaxjack67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

bump.......

Unread 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

not a bad price, you need to drive it and see if there are any steering issues. I put 160,000 on my 258 before rebuild.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
baldfatdad

Offer them 1500 for it. You can always go up. Check frame for cracks under driver seat and around steering box. Have a compression check done on the engine.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Steering box and frame cracks, allright I'm writing that one down.

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If it will idle then somebody has rebuilt the carb if it has a Carter BBD. A good question is what carb is on it.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Bring a fridge magnet to run over the body to see if it is steal or Bondo

From the pics it looks like a good deal, of course don't pay the asking price

If it drives and runs out good, I would probably start around $1800, Good Luck
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can get the CJ! Some plans already are to use it on a statewide camping trip this summer, just my girlfriend, the weather, and me.

Unread 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Having owned a CJ through college myself (and also being an XJ owner), I would skip it, invest in the XJ since it is the vehicle you currently depend on, and wait until you get out of school and are in a better position before increasing your vehicle load.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Having owned a CJ through college myself (and also being an XJ owner), I would skip it, invest in the XJ since it is the vehicle you currently depend on, and wait until you get out of school and are in a better position before increasing your vehicle load.
I'm starting to lean more towards this approach as the days go on...

Unread 02-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

This is just one man's opinion.. but if it were me, knowing what I need to do to keep my CJ up and running on a daily basis.. and I was in school, I would never try and do both.

A CJ is more of a project or a hobby than it is a vehicle. If I didn't have a regular DD I probably would have gotten too annoyed and fed up with making sure the CJ is going to run every morning, and given up on it.

They're fun to drive (when they're running), fun to work on, and the likes.. but they take time and patience.

I'd recommend finish your schooling, put the money aside somewhere, save some more (you'll need it, trust me..) -- and then when you have more free time, then get your CJ.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.