Checking caster angle... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Checking caster angle...

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

Checking caster angle...

I checked my caster angle on top of the upper ball joint stud. I used a protractor that slides onto a steel ruler and has a bubble level on it. I put the ruler on the castle nut and rotated the protractor until the bubble showed level.
Is that the right way to get an accurate reading? I have a 3" lift and it shows the caster at 2*, which seems to make sense. Before I did the lift it was at 4*
and still wandered a little, so I was thinking of using 4* shims, which would give me 6* of + caster. Any thought on this? Thanks

79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
spk454
1983 CJ8 

factory i believe is 4 degrees, might want to just use the 2 degree shims
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

Before I put the lift on it was at 4* but still wandered. All steering components were new so I figured 4* wasn't quite enough. Now that I lifted it, thought maybe 6* would be better.
Unread 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

4* shims should be okay. Make sure to use steel shims up front and not aluminum. The aluminum shims have been known to crack across at the centering pin hole and then spit out from between the spring and perch... not good on a steering axle.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
evil-ant

If you have 4* and still wander check everything else, steering box,ball joints tire pressure, alignment, loose spring bushings, drag link angle, ect,ect.... If the castor is set to 4 deg. then it's correct. Something else is causing it.
evil-ant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

Everything is new. Drag link is perfectly parallel with the tie rod, new springs/ bushings, reman. steering box, all steering box mounting bolts are tight, no cracks in the frame around steering box bolts. I'm having the alignment checked this week. I'll figure it out eventually, I'm just a little slow (trying to graduate from Remedial Jeep 101 )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.