Check out this flywheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Check out this flywheel

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and TERAFLEX JK Speed bump kit AND limiting strap kit!! AT ROCRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Check out this flywheel

Replacing my first clutch. Could this flywheel be causing the shudder at take-off? Now I just have to get it off! Just have basic tools, no air or impact tools. Breaker bar, wood, crow bar, screw driver unsuccessful. Newbie obviously not using correct technique yet. Any pics of your removal tricks appreciated.

img_0374-640x480-.jpg

img_0375-640x480-.jpg

img_0376-640x480-.jpg

JeepdaddyRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

It could be. There is some decent wear on there.

Put two of your clutch housing bolts back in a few threads and skip one hole in between (in your top pic, it would be the two highest that are shown, and leave the one in the shadow off). Put your breaker bar in between the two bolts and use it to counteract the direction of loosening the flywheel bolts.

Yellow/orange is break bar

Blue shows direction of force

red is where bolts go
img_0374-20-640x480-.jpg

dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
tmshannon
1980 CJ5 

Have your flywheel machined anyway...looks like it's got plenty of heat cracks, but having it machined will make your clutch engage nice and easy.

Travis
tmshannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I have had good luck using a ratchet across the centerline of the crank as shown in the image. Just a few whacks of the rubber mallet usually gets it done. Put them back on with a Torque wrench using the same method. The torque wrench is pretty important so you dont warp the flywheel as soon as it heats up.

Also don't neglect to inspect the whole clutch linkage for looseness. I had some bucking and shuttering on takeoff like you describe, I welded up my wallowed out 'ZEE' linkage and re drilled it. Problem solved!
File Type: pdf clutch.pdf (172.6 KB, 26 views)
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Budowski

1978 CJ7 

I had to use a product called Kroil - let it soak a few days. Long breaker bar to 'snap' the bolts free and bolts in the wheel as shown in the above diagrams, an impact wrench just wont do it. Definitely get it machined, you dont want to get it all back together and have it chattering. You'll only end up doing it again.
Budowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

I'm not a mechanic, but not afraid to take things apart with my limited tool collection. Newbie questions: Do you hit the breaker bar with a hammer or slow push? Afraid I'm going to twist it off or round the bolt heads. These bolts are seriously tight. I'm twisting the whole motor. Heat? If so, what do you heat - the flywheel bolt or flywheel around it. Do shops use a high powered impact wrench to remove a 31 year old flywheel?
JeepdaddyRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

To keep from rounding off the bolt heads make sure to use a 6 pint socket. They make a tool to hold the flywheel from rotating but I have never used one. I have always used my 1/2" impact to remove them and never had a problem getting them loose with that.
Unread 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog304 View Post
to keep from rounding off the bolt heads make sure to use a 6 pint socket. They make a tool to hold the flywheel from rotating but i have never used one. I have always used my 1/2" impact to remove them and never had a problem getting them loose with that.
^^^^^ this

and have that puppy resurfaced or replaced

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

It is heat cracked, just replace it, not worth machining. I got a new Luk for $70 shipped.

Use a 6 point socket installed fully and you won't hurt the bolts. Do not use heat. It won't help much and you can only hurt stuff. Air impact pays for itself in this situations.

That flywheel does not look too bad, I would not expect much shudder from it. What does your pressure plate look like? Clutch?
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

They make electric impact guns. Maybe look around at the auto parts stores around you and see if they have one to rent. I just replaced my flywheel/clutch a couple weeks ago and my electric impact zipped it off in about a minute.
Unread 02-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #11
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

I have a 1/2" drive electric impact I bought on sale at Harbor Freight and used a coupen for about $30. It actually works very well.
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I have a 1/2" drive electric impact I bought on sale at Harbor Freight and used a coupen for about $30. It actually works very well.
I generally try to avoid Harbor Freight, especially if the tool has moving parts. But for something like this, that would be perfect.
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #13
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

I used a Ridgid brand strap wrench that is cloth strap. It is a plumbers tool, but works perfect on the harmonic balancer to stabilize the engine while loosening or tightening bolts on the flywheel. I strapped it on the pulley wheel on the crank and the engine compartment pinned it steady. None of my blasted teen agers are around when I need their help, so I have learned to only rely on myself for help. Once the strap wrench was on and tight, very easy to do, I was able to use my long breaker bar with a cheater and get those bolts off. That strap wrench is one of my favorite Jeep/Auto tools. It always comes in handy.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I had my 258's flywheel machined and a new ring gear installed, and was about $6 from a brand new flywheel. Go to Rockauto.com, I bet you will find one for a good price there...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 12:35 AM   #15
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The impact gun took them right off, but when torquing them back on I put one the bolts back in the block and clamped some vice grips on the ring gear (the outside of it to avoid damage). When those are butted up together you can torque to your hearts content.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.