Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chassis paint...

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
Some of you may recall that I used Hot Rod Flat from TCP Global to paint the chassis on my CJ, it turned out nice but had more shine than I expected and the paint was tempermental as far as the mix was concerned. I was looking for options to paint my Grand Wag chassis and decided to try John Deere Blitz Black, it's an enamel and ready to spray with a 10:1 mix of paint to thinner and only 34.00 a gallon. I sprayed two coats over two coats of PPG epoxy primer yesterday and it turned out very nice and has a sheen much closer to factory frame paint. It looks good but only time will tell if the paint is durable. I will post photos in my build thread when the sun comes up.

#2 ·
I just happened to stop by a friend of mine yesterday, paint and body shop, does high dollar restorations and custom work, been at it for over 40 years, getting ready to retire. He had a 68 Camaro in there he was doing a $100K custom job on. I was looking it over. Custom ordered frame for the car. He actually uses Rust-o-leum for the frames, I was kind of shocked. I though for sure it would be a high dollar paint. But he said it holds up better than a lot of higher dollar paint. Uses satins and flats.

My brother in law was a DuPont paint rep for many years, one of the things he explained was that there are only so many pigment companies and paint makers out there. They blend and make paint for who ever wants it and drop a label on it. So John Deer paint could be made by anyone, as running a 24/7 blending is expensive and equipment sitting idle is just wasted money.

Most paints can be flattened or glossed by additives, some trial and error can get you there.

#3 ·
There are a lot of options, POR15, Chassis Black, black epoxy primer, flat clear over a base coat, Rustoleum and probably more with the flat black hot rod interest. Trial and error with the CJ is how I got here :D

Here is my CJ frame with Hot Rod Flat...not so flat in my opinion.

Here is the GW frame using JD Blitz Black

Close-up with a steering box painted with Duplicolor Caliper paint. The box was in the house and at 68 degrees, it was sweating faster than I could wipe off the condensation and snap a photo. But there is a huge difference between the box and the frame.

#8 ·
Your Waggy chassis looks great, 243. Nice work. :thumbsup:

I've been pleasantly surprised with Rustoleum Hammered that I've used on several projects. It's cheap, readily available, and it adds a bit of texture that makes getting a consistent finish easier. I sprayed it directly over the factory paint on my CJ frame and bumpers, after cleaning scuffing. It was a bit glossy at first, but that has faded over time. Durability has been good.

That said, I want to try Hammerite on my next project. I've heard from several people that stuff is bomb-proof.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.