Charging System Issues... Delco SI, CS Differences... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Charging System Issues... Delco SI, CS Differences...

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Charging System Issues... Delco SI, CS Differences...

I have a TON of PMs about charging system issues...
So here goes,

DELCO SI ALTERNATORS IN AMC JEEPS,
(Or being swapped into older Jeeps)

You need THREE connections to the SI Series alternators,

1. BATTERY (BAT.) on back of alternator case.
This should run to the POSITIVE battery cable at the starter relay/solenoid.
This is the closest SAFE point to the battery you should connect.

Connecting from alternator 'BAT' terminal with 10 Ga. (or larger) wire at the alternator 'BAT.' terminal,
Running to the FUSIBLE LINK just before the starter relay/solenoid.

1a. FUSIBLE LINK is a fuse wire intended to protect that wire to the alternator, so the fusible link will be the first 5" or so from starter relay battery terminal connection, then 10 Ga. wire, then alternator.
Fusible links are $5 and SHOULD NOT be left out of your harness!

If that primary charging wire gets against headers and burns through the insulation, the fusible link will keep your Jeep from burning down.

If you short out the 'BAT' terminal when working on the alternator, that fusible link will keep your Jeep from burning down.

If the alternator grounds internally (Fails Catastrophically) that fusible link will keep the vehicle from burning down.

2. The 'Sense' wire.
The sample of line voltage (Larger of the two small wires at the two wire plug) will tell the voltage regulator to produce more, or to stop producing.

Ideally, this should be a clean battery sample, since the alternator is there to charge the battery.
You can't SAFELY connect directly to the battery, so taking that sample from the battery cable side of the starter relay, or even from the 'BAT' terminal on the back of the alternator will work.

3. The 'Excite' wire.
The excite wire MUST be a key switched source or it will run the battery down.

Most times, that key switched source is from the same line that feeds the ignition, since when the ignition isn't running, the alternator isn't charging either. Shut one off, they both shut off.

Now, the 'Excite' wire needs some way of NOT back-feeding the ignition.
Since the 'Sense' terminal DRAWS current when starting the charging process, That terminal will become 'HOT' and feed the ignition if you hook up to the ignition.

Enter the Resistor Wire.
Usually stiff, Brown or Black in factory harnesses, and found in the last few inches before the two wire alternator plug, this wire chokes off enough current to keep the alternator from powering up the ignition once you start the engine.

You CAN replace the resistor wire on a Delco SI alternator with a diode.
Diode is a one way electrical 'Gate Valve', letting current reach the alternator but keeping alternator current from back-feeding the alternator.

YOU CAN NOT DELETE THE RESISTOR FROM A DELCO CS ALTERNATOR HARNESS!

--------------------------

DELCO CS WIRING.

Pretty much the same thing,
A larger wire to the 'BAT' terminal on the back, with fusible link,
A 'Sense' or 'Sample' wire to the voltage regulator,

BUT! A CS MUST HAVE AT LEAST 75 OHMS OF RESISTANCE ON THE 'EXCITE' WIRE TO SURVIVE.

This is VERY easy to do with a single resistor from Radio Shack built into the wire/plug supplying the alternator.

If you have switched to a CS and you keep having to replace regulators, the it's time for a resistor in the 'Excite' terminal wiring to keep the new one alive.

Many people have told me they have 'No Problems' with a direct wiring of the 'Excite' terminal, but I've never see that first hand, and I don't know of a single application from the factory that doesn't have at least 15 Ohms of resistance in the 'Excite' line. (15 to 75 Ohms, and EVERYTHING works with 75 Ohms)

NOW...
If you look VERY CLOSELY at the CS regulator connector collar, you will see...
S, I or F, L, P on the connector collar. It's molded into the plastic, but VERY hard to see some times...

P is the 'Sense' wire, or line voltage sample,
L is 'Lamp' or 'Excite' circuit,
And the 'BAT' terminal on the back is for the 10 Ga. wire.

L terminal needs between 15 and 75 Ohms of resistor,
OR,
An 'Idiot' light on the dash that produces between 15 and 75 Ohms of resistance. If you DO NOT have an idiot light, add a resistor.

-------------------------

This has PERSONALLY worked for me for the last 40 years, on hundreds of vehicles without failures...
(remember, I used to own an alternator/starter/battery shop and I rebuilt starters/alternators every day for over 5 years)

Hope this helps clear things up a little for the ones having issues, or anyone thinking of switching over.

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Very NICE to see you post'n again
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Yup, took me a while, and when I'm back at work, I don't know how much I can post, but I'm up and running for a little while...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

There was a search party out look'n for your arse.....
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Yep! It's good to see the "Encyclopedia Jeep Hammerica" back in print!

Good health to you sir!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.