Charcoal Canister - to use or not to use? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Charcoal Canister - to use or not to use?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
I'm running without one and no problems here. Only 1 line coming from the tank and it goes to the carb. No return lines, no vents. Runs just fine.
Is it the breather from the tank? Where does it go on the carb?

DUX4LIFE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

My single line is the fuel line. No breathers, canister, vents, nothing.
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #18
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
Right now I wish I didn't have one on. I have lost about a gallon of fuel today through it. I parked it this morning after refueling and look down to see a huge puddle of gasoline on the floor. Now I need to do a search and find out why. I thought the vacuum lines were routed correctly.
That usually indicates a stuck float needle. this allows gas to overflow the carb float bowl and run down the vent line to the canister and right out the bottom.

The gas tank vent lines should have a liquid check valve on them to prevent gas from filling to get up the line to the canister. My 20 gallon ones are built into the tank, 15 gallon ones are external.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #19
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
That usually indicates a stuck float needle. this allows gas to overflow the carb float bowl and run down the vent line to the canister and right out the bottom.

The gas tank vent lines should have a liquid check valve on them to prevent gas from filling to get up the line to the canister. My 20 gallon ones are built into the tank, 15 gallon ones are external.
That sounds likely since at the time it was leaking the distributor vacuum and the pvc lines were disconnected from the cannister. only the carb bowl and the fuel tank were connected. It stopped now so I will let it ride and see what comes of it. I fixed the broken nipple on the vacuum line and got the length of tubing for the pvc line. Checked the pvc and it is fine. Thanks
DUX4LIFE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #20
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

my 79 doesnt have one anymore either, i sealed it all up and have a vented gas cap.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
twmattox

FYI, these purge at two different levels. There is a primary purge (which operates only at idle). A secondary larger purge opens when the purge signal is opened with ported vacuum (so operates at off idle to wide open throttle).

A couple of things most people don't think about with these is that the carburetor was jetted to operate with it. Basically, these function as an air bleed (adding air) to the intake. So, the carburetor is jetted rich to compensate. So, remove the charcoal canister and retain the stock carb...and you will run rich.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
ckid222
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconRabbit View Post
My single line is the fuel line. No breathers, canister, vents, nothing.
Does any one have a diagram or know of where the fuel line exactly runs? Mine is busted and Id like to repair it.

Unread 10-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We call em pond filters down here, mine was removed years ago and it's not going back
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #24
gordon1970
1979 CJ7 

1979 cj7 258 inline 6

im a brand new jeep owner and im trying to figure out the horrible gas fumes from the exhaust and extremely bad gas mileage on my 1979 258 inline 6. idles and seems as tho it runs good, p.o had vacuum lines a mess. I have a front and rear cto and neither are hooked to anything. can somebody direct me on what to do? I did put new plugs in....
gordon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #25
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon1970 View Post
im a brand new jeep owner and im trying to figure out the horrible gas fumes from the exhaust and extremely bad gas mileage on my 1979 258 inline 6. idles and seems as tho it runs good, p.o had vacuum lines a mess. I have a front and rear cto and neither are hooked to anything. can somebody direct me on what to do? I did put new plugs in....
Here's what your vacuum layout looked like from the factory.

Hope this helps,

Matt
79-fsj-6cyl_vacuum-2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #26
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Having done the 4.0 headswap on my '83, I just went through this. I left the canister unconnected on the first go-round, and although the engine worked fine, I did often have the lingering and not so subtle aroma of raw gasoline billowing around the Jeep whenever it was parked. On hot days after a fillup, as the cold fuel fresh from the underground tank warmed up in my gas tank, I would sometimes even find fuel spots on the ground.
The plumbing is a little simpler for the MPFI setup, so I went back to the junkyard and pulled the cannister and plumbing from the '91 Wrangler donor. After hooking it up, all those fumes go into the intake instead of the atmosphere, and all the gas I pay for gets burned. No more gasoline stench, and no more dripping fuel. Don't have to worry about pressure differential between my gas tank and ambient. MPG went up a tad. I'm not a big environmentalist by any means, but it's nice to know I'm not polluting when I don't have to be.

My advice is, hook it up.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.