Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Charcoal canister bracket options

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  keith460 
#1 ·
'78 258 in a '91 tub. Piecing together my charcoal canister system after decades without. I've got everything I need except the bracket. Can't seem to locate a CJ bracket but eBay has plenty of yj brackets available. Anyone know the difference between the canisters and the brackets of the different years?

I've got 4 options.

Modify a CJ bracket to fit a yj tub.

Buy a yj canister and bracket.

Fabricate a custom bracket.

Not even bother with it.

Any and all advice is appreciated greatly.

#2 ·
I would label those options as A, B, C, and D. Write one each of those letters on the back (sticky side) of four 3M Post-Its. Stick the four Post-It's to a 2x2 wooden panel or cork board hung on any convenient wall then stand back 12 feet and throw some darts. The first Post-It that gets stabbed with a dart is your solution.
:justkidding:

Drop the last "Not even bother with it." and pick the one from the other three that you feel is easiest - probably B or C. There is more benefit to having the charcoal canister than just emissions control. The fuel vapor that accumulates in the canister from the tank and carburetor bowl vent are beneficial to combustion when drawn back into the intake after engine warm-up. Just be sure you get the vapor hoses and vacuum control hoses connected properly for the system to work.

Makanak

#4 ·
I got an extra bracket for a CJ7 canister if ya want. PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.