Changing valve cover gaskets/valve covers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing valve cover gaskets/valve covers

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
gtrpup2

Changing valve cover gaskets/valve covers

I've been putting this off for awhile but i'm thinking I'm going to do it this weekend. What needs to be done before I remove the old covers and gaskets? Is it as simple as removing the bolts and then just putting everything back together?

I've never done anything directly to the engine before and thought I'd ask you guys.

gtrpup2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Joey_B

ya, I think that's about it. Make sure you scrape clean both the valve cover and the mounting surface. Watch out you don't get anything in the rocker assembly. I would cover them with a plastic bag or something while your cleaning the mounting surface. I believe you should use some gasket sealer too.
Joey_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
gtrpup2

so i don't need to drain the oil? I just undo them and replace them?
Unread 11-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

I am not sure if it's needed on the Jeep because I've been to lazy to do the swap and have been held up installing a new clutch. But everytime I have pulled the valve cover off of an engine I usually drain it. I guess it just gives me a reason to put in new oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Joey_B

Anytime I've done a valve cover gasket I didn't drain the oil, but it's usually so low because of the leaky gasket that I didn't have to
Unread 11-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
gtrpup2

that wasnt what i wanted to hear but thanks for the info guys. I asked because i just barely changed my oil like 2 weeks ago. I won't be due for awhile.
Unread 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Joey_B

You should be okay to change the cover gasket without draining the oil. All the oil falls down into the oil pan when the engine is off. A small amount will be left around the rockers but no more then if you drained the oil anyway.
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Galt
1983 CJ7 

If you decide to swap to one of those alluminum upgraded covers you will have to drill and tap a few new holes in the head.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
Hunt_Nevada
1985 CJ7 

No Oil Change Needed

Keep your old oil. If you remove the cover (while not running, of course) and oil comes out, you've got FAR too much oil! The oil up on the valves is thrown there while running.

But like was said before by Hey Now, you will likely need to drill/tap a few new holes. A very few 258's are already set up for a simple bolt/unbolt job.
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
gtrpup2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Now
If you decide to swap to one of those alluminum upgraded covers you will have to drill and tap a few new holes in the head.

i will? That doesnt sound like something I want to do. Don't they make them to fit the engine/stock holes?
Unread 11-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
marmaduke

Nope, on my '86 I had to just tap the two holes on the manifold side, simple enough even for me, the ones on the spark plug side matched straight up then just saw the studs off the rocker bridges as aluminium covers don't use these.
I never had to drain the oil, just make sure that when you're cleaning the surface no bits go down the push rod holes.

Good luck
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #12
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I have an '83 and all the holes were drilled but only the front and back were tapped. It wasn't hard to tap all the rest.

I did have to cut the studs off the top of the bridges. I used a large magnet to catch all the filings from the cutting and tapping.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
wswartzwel
2007 JK Wrangler 

On my 81 CJ7 with 258CI, the side holes were drilled but not tapped...I had to drill the front and back holes and tap them all (used grease and rags to keep filings out of the engine)... I removed the rocker bridges and cut the studs off them at my workbench to avoid metal filings... The conversion from plastic valve cover to aluminum, was the best mod I did... I have zero oil leaking from my engine now..
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
smitty586

I just replaced the plastic cover with the aluminum. I also had to tap some holes. However, I had to tap for the larger 5/16-18 bolts because the two 1/2-20 already had partial holes in the engine. The 1/2-20 wouldnt tap correctly. Also, how did you get to that bolt in the very back? On my 83 cj7 there is barely any room to get a finger to it let alone a socket.
smitty586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
marmaduke

For me that was always the one I'd put in place first while there was still a bit of movement from the cover, then when it came to tightening up the bolts I seem to remember having just about enough room to get a ring spanner on it to tweek it up a bit.

Hope this helps, if all else fails get a v8, plenty of room then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.