Changing under fluids this weekend - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing under fluids this weekend

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

If it were me i would fix the known leak and clean everything up and go from there. That way you arent replacing seals that aren't leaking

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
All manual transmission have fill and drain plugs on them as far as I know.

okay. i see
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexThePhotoGuy View Post
Thanks for the detailed pics!

I looked up under there today to spray some PB on the bolts and really got to noticing... so much is covered in gunk! I know I have a decent valve cover leak up top (another project) that is leaking below to what appears to be the bell housing and perhaps the driveshaft (maybe slinging it everywhere). While I'm up under there, does it make sense to fix a few more seals? In particular, I'm looking at the rear of the transfer case in the attached pic. Are there TWO inspection plates that I should re-gasket? The one on the bottom looks hard to get to with the skid plate on... and I've heard the skid plate holds the T-case it in place. Any ideas? Thanks team!
The transfercase bolts to the transmission and is other wise hanging there but the tranny is bolted to the skid plate. The bottom cover on the transfercase is gonna be the only inspection plate.
If I were you I would put on some cheap clothes buy some brake cleaner and scrape all that gunk off the skidplate and transfer case with a scraper after I sprayed everything down with some brake cleaner the spray it off again with brake cleaner and hit with a pressure washer. Id help you do it if I was there but it's gonna be nasty
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Those are good suggestions. I like getting dirty as long as it means I can find these leaks! Question- I installed a new starter a couple of months back- should I have put a gasket/sealer on where it mounts? I definitely didn't and wonder if that could be a source of leakage.
AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
agear
1984 CJ7 

That's not part of installing the starter but if youre leaking oil and don't want it to end up in the bell housing or in the starter you could. But it would take a ton of oil and is not likely at all that enough oil would fill the bottom of the bellhousing and spin oil everywhere on your clutch disc which you do not want. The bottom of the bellhousing isn't even sealed. Oil could seep in the bellhousing from the top , like the valve cover, but i've had some dandy leaks before and never had an issue with my clutch from the clutch disc being contaminated. I think you're alright. But I got off track. That's not a source of leakage.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
You can buy a little pump which resembles and works the same as the ol' softsoap bottle in your house.just hose clamp a hose on the siphon tube anda stick it in your 1 gallon container gear oil comes in.
Wish my buddy would have told me this when he suggested a pump for my diff fluid. I made a mess and totally ruined a pair of okay cargos.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
agear
1984 CJ7 

The part fluid comes out of the pump has a hose with a little nozzle that will go into the fill hole.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

It rained all weekend and I sadly have no garage, so hoping to do the work tomorrow afternoon. Anyone have a pic of my transfer case fill hole? I was under there the other day and only saw a clear drain hole. I think it's a dana 30 (whatever was stock on my 85 CJ 6cyl)
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

I can't because I'm away from my Jeep. However, it's a Dana 300 transfer case. That should help your search for information.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

In the T5, use ONLY 75W-80 syn. tranny oil. NO ATF!
Use STD 85W-90 GL4 gear oil in the diffs and t'case.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=417376
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

T5 fluid change a (messy) success! Whatever the PO had in there was STINKY. I put Royal Purple Synchromax in there. For the diff, I have purchased 75w-90 that is rated "GL4 or GL5". As soon as I can confirm where the fill hole is I'll change that... unless someone screams and tells me that I NEEEED the 85w-90 GL4 that I can't find in big box stores.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

IF you have posi trac, use the posi fluid for the differential, IF you have lockers or a normal 3rd member, use regular (not posi!) fluid in it.. I found out that posi fluid in lockers make them crunch like there going to throw the ring and pinion out the case.. I'm not a synthetic oil person, I think there are better natural oils, like Rotella for instance.. and in the motor, I put Rotella for diesels motor oil, because it has the ingredients that have been stripped from all of your motor oils to satisfy the ENVIROMENTALISTS..
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Dana 300 fluid change also a (messy) success! From looking more around there, it appears the TC is leaking somewhere. Perhaps where it connects to the shaft that goes to the front diff (it's the thickest/wettest part). I pulled out about a liter and a half of fluid and put in about 2 and a half liters. Also, saw this on the drain plug... not good. I'm hoping it's just been a while since the PO had changed the fluid. No telling what kind of damage lies inside. Out of time today, but hope to get to the differentials in the next week. Any thoughts on the TC?
img_20130521_173509_029.jpg  
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Somewhat normal t'case maggie drain.
Good choice on tranny oil.
Put about 5K miles in the entire driveline and change it again.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
Eddie800
1982 CJ7 

If its been a while, don't forget brake fluid and coolant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.