changing t176 1st gear ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > changing t176 1st gear ratio

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

changing t176 1st gear ratio

This may be a no brainer for some of you but in a few mounth I'm rebuilding my t176 along with my engine. I was wondering if it is possible to install a different 1st gear that would give me a little more power while in 2wd? I have 4.10 gears and a 4 to 1 kit installed. I just wish for a little more power on the street. Thanks Clay

80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

The T-177 is the same tranny, with longer output and slightly lower first gear....I guess it's possible to put the guts of one in a 176, but haven't actually seen a writeup on how.

Don't think it'd be worth it, though....T-176 first gear is 3.52, T-177 is 3.82.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Your gearing isn't really off with 4.10s and a 1:1 top gear. I'd consider adding power to the motor as another option.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I had a t-176 and switched the internal gears to gears from a 177? (the lowest first gear transmission of the series, might have been a 178) because of the poor first gear ratio of the 176.
It really didn't make much difference, certainly not enough to justify the effort/expense.
If doing it again I would switch to a 5 speed transmission with a better first gear ratio (4:1) and over drive. I went to a worn out t-5, after the gear experiment (because it was available) but the NVG-35XX series of transmissions is a better option, IMO. I like the 4:1 first gear even spread transmissions much better than higher first gear transmissions or granny low transmissions, both on street and off road. I too have a 4:1 low range transfer case; having tried it with both the t-176/177/178 and the t-5, like the 4:1 transfer with a 4:1 first gear 5 speed the best of every combination that I have driven. The runner up is a 4 speed 4:1 tranny but due to non-sincromesh first, lack of overdrive and very poor shifting I cant recommend the non granny low t-18s (or the granny low versions for that matter).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.