changing ring and pinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > changing ring and pinion

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Daniel W

changing ring and pinion

I found a set of Dana 30 front & rear AMC 20 cheap and in good shape to replace my old shot rear end AMC 20 but the ring and pinion are different. So how hard would it be to swap ring and pinion front and back? Is this something I could do or something for the pros. I understand you have no idea my knowledge but I am very mechanically incline just donít have a lot of experience with vehicles. One of the reasons I bought my jeep was to play around with the mechanics of it. The only problem with the new axels is it is geared at 2.73. Sounds great for the racetrack not for the backcountry.

Thanks

I just want my jeep back and running.

Unread 06-30-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

the 30 probly wont be to bad just swap every thing with one rear to the other watch there are shims under the pinion head bearing race you will need these and the shims under the pinion tail bearing replace every thing as a unit and ck the back lash when you have every thing together to make shur it is right

the 20 is going to be a pain first the taper axels to get apart unless you unbolt the brake lines and take it off with the backing plate then watch out for the shims that go on the outside of the carrior bearings when you pull the carrior out they will fall and you need to keep each side with the side it came from the pinion uses a crush sleeve to set the pinion preload try not to damage it and watch for shims under the pinion race too reassy and ck back lash

hopefully it will be right never know from case to case
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.