changing from gm points dist to motorcraft, motorcraft has wrong gear help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > changing from gm points dist to motorcraft, motorcraft has wrong gear help!!!

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
baystrucksalvag
1976 CJ5 

changing from gm points dist to motorcraft, motorcraft has wrong gear help!!!

my old delco points type dist has key way in the gear to turn oil pump flat straight key, my motorcraft dizzy picked up at advance has hex hole key what gives?

baystrucksalvag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystrucksalvag View Post
my old delco points type dist has key way in the gear to turn oil pump flat straight key, my motorcraft dizzy picked up at advance has hex hole key what gives?
The guys at the parts store gave you the wrong distributor.

The 'AMC' years all used a flat 'Beaver Tail' type oil pump drive, Delco points, Prestolite or Motorcraft distributors all had the same drive for the oil pump.

The distirbutor you have is for one of the later engines (later Chrysler 4.0L/ earlier 4.0L engines had the flat drive in them too.),
Or someone has dunked a Ford distributor in the box that was supposed to have your '79 AMC/Jeep distributor in it.

Since it's a Ford/Motorcraft type distributor, I often get the wrong distirbutor in the box, especially from A-1 Cardone (a major Remanufacturer).

Still keeping the year, model, engine type, ect. secret?
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
baystrucksalvag
1976 CJ5 

this friggin thing was an a1cardone most have been what happened, when i go back what EXCATLY should i tell the kid to look up so this doesnt happen again.... oh bye the way, jeep is 1976 cj5 jeep factory hard top and doors 26k ORIGNAL miles ex gov surplus from air ntnl guard white steelie wheels no lift sleeper jeep with soon to be 304.... if i can ever finish wiring it!!!!
baystrucksalvag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Yup, so you purchased a distributor for an AMC V-8, and it came in with a Ford distributor in the box is what happened.

Just have the kid order another one for a '79 Jeep CJ-7 with 304 V-8 and it's not likely you will get two bad distributors in a row...
When it comes in, just take the one you have now back and swap it for the new one he just ordered...
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.