Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #91
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
I know its an old post but will the standard front seat belts for a 1983 CJ7 bolt right onto the 92 YJ bar? I can get the cage but no belts.
Yes they will.

waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #92
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Ok, so two months after acquisition, I'm currently in process to remove the A-bar, and drop in the YJ Bar. Removing the torx bolts didn't go so well (unscrewed only 2 of the bolts, drilling out the rest), but when I did lift out the old bar, there was some minor rust underneath. Nothing serious that my angle grinder couldn't clean up but I have a question.

My interior floor was painted with some sort of bed liner (over the top of the rollbar plates) - so I've got bare metal where the new bar will attach. Knowing that this is a prime place for rust, I would like some advice on what to put down under the new bar.... Do I put a coating of the bed liner (of which I have no idea the source) under it? Maybe just some primer? Rust inhibitor? I'm a little hesitant just dropping the thing in on bare metal but I don't know what would work the best.

Thanks in advance for the assistance...
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #93
GOJOman
1978 CJ7 

Sounds like the people on this thread may be able to help me out as well...

I have a 78 CJ7 and the PO mounted a YJ rollbar on it. He had the extension bars to attach it to the windshield frame but he never completed that. I want to finish it up, but I'm not sure how it attaches. Please consider the pictures here.

There's a mounting bracket on the windshield frame now for the soft top. How can I accommodate both this Rollbar and the soft top bracket? Is there a different kind of fixture in need? Regardless of the bracket, there doesn't appear to be ready holes in the windshield frame I should work with -- so is this an exercise where I drill into the frame?

I'm thinking there has to be something that I'm missing here. Thanks!

Marty ... and Go Browns! :-)
image-1947192447.jpg

image-938257646.jpg

GOJOman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #94
Scott21

Worked fine.
Scott21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #95
Scott21

Used nutcerts in the windshield frame. Worked fine.
Scott21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #96
GOJOman
1978 CJ7 

Is there a conflict between how the rollbar is attached and the bracket for the soft top? Maybe a different kind of soft top bracket that mounts on the rollbar? Thanks!
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #97
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

GOJOman, if you have hard doors, put them on, then figure out where to attach the spreader bars to the windshield. I attached my with the nutserts and it worked great - until I put on the doors.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #98
GOJOman
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMark
GOJOman, if you have hard doors, put them on, then figure out where to attach the spreader bars to the windshield. I attached my with the nutserts and it worked great - until I put on the doors.
Great add. Thanks. Are the 'spreader bars' the extensions that come off the front of the primary roll bar and attach to the windshield? Can you give me a picture of the final solution?

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #99
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Here's a quick shot of mine. Nutserts are awesome and easy. Works with my hard doors.

image-3460111402.jpg

image-1963861098.jpg

image-1440662781.jpg
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #100
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Yes, and I don't have any pictures. However, when it's time to put the doors on, my spreader bars are coming off. doh:
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #101
GOJOman
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleHook
Here's a quick shot of mine. Nutserts are awesome and easy. Works with my hard doors.
You guys are the best. Thanks.

So TrebleHook's pictures show (I think) the soft top attaching to the rim across the top of the windshield frame. My BestTop soft top has a frame that runs over the door, that also attaches to the windshield frame. That's the bracket that is now on the windshield frame that i showed in my first pix. TrebleHook, you don't have that same frame on your soft top?

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #102
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

I don't have a soft top, just a hard top and a safari/bikini....sorry, no help there.

Cheers,
TrebleHook
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #103
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJOman View Post
Is there a conflict between how the rollbar is attached and the bracket for the soft top? Maybe a different kind of soft top bracket that mounts on the rollbar? Thanks!
You don't realy need the speaders. You can just unbolt them from the main roll bar until you get it all sorted out.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #104
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJOman View Post
Sounds like the people on this thread may be able to help me out as well...

I have a 78 CJ7 and the PO mounted a YJ rollbar on it. He had the extension bars to attach it to the windshield frame but he never completed that. I want to finish it up, but I'm not sure how it attaches. Please consider the pictures here.

There's a mounting bracket on the windshield frame now for the soft top. How can I accommodate both this Rollbar and the soft top bracket? Is there a different kind of fixture in need? Regardless of the bracket, there doesn't appear to be ready holes in the windshield frame I should work with -- so is this an exercise where I drill into the frame?

I'm thinking there has to be something that I'm missing here. Thanks!

Wondering this myself...
capt205 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #105
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

The YJ supertop is designed to have the bracket sandwiched between the spreader bar and the windshield frame.

http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51599.pdf

When I used the cj windshield frame the nutserts for the spreader bar didnt line up well. the nutsert thickness also made the bracket loose. I eventually swapped in a yj windsheld frame.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.