Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #61
mpd224

Not trying to resurrect this thread, but has anyone tried this on a CJ5? If not this the family style bars, has anyone found a way to put the bar from the roll bar to the windshield on a CJ5? I am really looking for a way to ge the bar in there so the wife and I have something to grab ahold of. Thanks

mpd224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #62
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

a yj cage won't fit in a cj5. your best bet would be to fab something up.
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #63
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150 View Post
Or buy a YJ set-up from a junkyard and mod it to fit. And the windshield is NOT the best anchor point. Better to go to the floor and then to the frame. At least check out what RockHard bolt-in kits do. Soon, the resurrected Poison Spyder will have bolt-in kits as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #64
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

I'm trying to put new 3point belts in my CJ7 with the family cage. Only thing I'm not clear on is mounting of the front belt, not the spool, not the shoulder point, but the loose end.

Did you drill through the tub under the spool and mount there? All my new belts came hardware and big body washers. Like 3" diameter washers.

Bard could I get a pick of your front belts and how they mount close up?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, got it.

Last edited by Blthomas; 08-27-2009 at 04:54 AM..
Blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #65
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I am doing this swap right now. My family bar was removed from a 95 YJ. For some reason, the bolts on the floor of the tub on the main hoop did not line up perfectly. I am referring to the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that go directly in to the floor of the tub and not the horizontal bolts that face the rear of the Jeep which go in to the wheel well. I am going to have to modify the holes to make it fit. Not a big deal, but I always thought the YJ bars were a 100% direct swap (aside from the forward bars from the main hoop to the windshield).

I eliminated the YJ forwards bars and went with OR Fab's sport cage for the CJ. It works with the YJ family cage too.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #66
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
I am doing this swap right now. My family bar was removed from a 95 YJ. For some reason, the bolts on the floor of the tub on the main hoop did not line up perfectly. I am referring to the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that go directly in to the floor of the tub and not the horizontal bolts that face the rear of the Jeep which go in to the wheel well. I am going to have to modify the holes to make it fit. Not a big deal, but I always thought the YJ bars were a 100% direct swap (aside from the forward bars from the main hoop to the windshield).

I eliminated the YJ forwards bars and went with OR Fab's sport cage for the CJ. It works with the YJ family cage too.
jatepper......could you post some pictures of the OR Fab's sport cage install. I am curious to see how that works for you.

Don't have any answer on the floor holes. Did this mod to a '79 CJ7 I used to have but had to drill all the holes for the forward mount on that rig.

Thanks.....Trap
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #67
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

jatepper......disregard, found your other thread.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #68
wyoming_sal
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post

You have to file them out. Had the same problem with mine. It doesn't take much. Than I welded 20ga washers to the roll bar and that was that.

Also do you have pics of the ORF install? I bought the brackets but was doing a fab on the bars. I wasn't sure if the 7 and yj roll bars were the same vertical angle which would affect the install.
wyoming_sal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #69
herCJ7
1979 CJ7 

Does anyone know what the maximum height of the roll bar can be without affecting a soft top? I plan to change out my roll cage, but I don't have a soft top yet. The YJ bars measure 1" taller than the CJ bars when they're in the Jeep. Will this be enough to affect the soft top installation?
herCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #70
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

If anyone is having trouble finding a good source for the nutserts, McMaster-Carr has all this stuff and they are great to work with.

I got a bag of 10 5/16-18 thread for $10, plus the tool for $30. Not a bad investment since I can see where these could come in handy for many things.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3271/=c1kwiu
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #71
quentinmc1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is a great write up on how to do this. I have an article on my site http://www.yjjeep.com that gives some information about an eaiser way. The problem is that the rollbars can be a little hard to find. This is an easy alternative. Here is the link http://www.yjjeep.com/easy-way-to-ad...o-your-cj-jeep
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #72
jkoz79
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150
Define "Won't fit".

image-1731142220.jpg

I am almost there

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jkoz79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #73
jkoz79
1964 CJ5 

DONE!!!!!!!

It fit great. Tied into the frame and can now add 3 point seat belts if I want

image-3645181887.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #74
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz79 View Post
DONE!!!!!!!

It fit great. Tied into the frame and can now add 3 point seat belts if I want

Were you able to use the existing roll cage mounting holes? I'm betting the forward bars will have to be cut or modified. If it fit "as-is" then that is great!

Looks good.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #75
jkoz79
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper

Were you able to use the existing roll cage mounting holes? I'm betting the forward bars will have to be cut or modified. If it fit "as-is" then that is great!

Looks good.
I did not have existing holes. It is a fiberglass tub. Certainly more than a bolt in but much les than a total build from scratch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.