Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing a CJ rollbar to a YJ family style rollbar

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

While I think you did a great job, I don't like bolting the bar to the windshield for two reasons. 1) It makes it really tough and time consuming to fold the windshield down. 2) The windshield really isn't structurally rigid. It collapses in a rollover. I went to the dashboard and made the entire front section removable to get behind the dashboard if needed to repair or replace things behind it. With my cage design, I can still fold the windshield down and have the cage for safety. The front loop also has a left-to-right crossmember for added strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 05-10-2008 at 04:27 PM..
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #17
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
While I think you did a great job, I don't like bolting the bar to the windshield for two reasons. 1) It makes it really tough and time consuming to fold the windshiled down. 2) The windshield really isn't structurally rigid. It collapses in a rollover. I went to the dashboard and made the entire front section removable to get behind the dashboard if needed to repair or replace things behind it. With my cage design, I can still fold the windshield down and have the cage for safety. The front loop also has a left-to-right crossmember for added strength.
Thanks Copper - I agree with the windshield being easily folded down, but mine stays up most of the time. All it takes to remove the 4 bolts on the nutserts, stock dash screws and 1 main torxs on the sleeves if I really wanted to.
As I alluded to in the very beginning of the write up, this is a straight YJ to CJ change and just adds a new look and works better with the 3 point seatbelts for the rear. As for cage, it is not a cage and shouldn't be looked at that way. there are no frame supports, same as the factory ones. If I wanted to build a cage, I would have. Thanks and nice looking Jeep, some good ideas there.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #18
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Nice write up Bard. Question about the rear bar and the front stringers. Are they bolted to the center bar? I want to do this in My '77 but it has the old style "A" bar bolted to the top of the wheel well and the tub has no holes at the bottom of the tub of course, why would it So I was thinking if the YJ bars unbolt I could either weld or bolt them to the factory bar an then attach to the rear of the wheel well and windsheild. Or my other option could be to remove factory bar and them bolt the whole YJ bar in it's place. That would only leave me with the issue of 4 holes on each side of the tub.
Any suggestions?
Hi Joe, Thanks. I would almost pull the A bar out and use the whole YJ bar. I think it would be faster. Not sure if you have lap belts or a 3 point belts for the front seats?
I would just drill 4 holes thru the floor of the tub to attach it. Same with the rear, which would be 2.
I think you are referring to having the 4 holes down the side of the tub where the A bar originally was, correct? You could get some carriage bolts and they would be pretty close to being flush with the tub.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Good writeup. Thanks
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Hi Joe, Thanks. I would almost pull the A bar out and use the whole YJ bar. I think it would be faster. Not sure if you have lap belts or a 3 point belts for the front seats?
I would just drill 4 holes thru the floor of the tub to attach it. Same with the rear, which would be 2.
I think you are referring to having the 4 holes down the side of the tub where the A bar originally was, correct? You could get some carriage bolts and they would be pretty close to being flush with the tub.
Heh Bard, Yes I have lap belts up front and as of right now nothing in the back (seat or belts). I like the idea of the carriage bolts. I was thinking of reuseing the torxs that hold the rollbar through the side into the tub. Kind'n mess with the unknowing a little for fun.
Yes I agree the more I think about it that maybe just putting the whole YJ bar in will save a ton of time. Something I never seem to have enough of anyway.
What hardware grade to bolt up the bar, 8, right?
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #21
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I would use grade 8, stronger than grade 5, costs a little more. All the torx bolts in the belts and rollbar are grade 8. And they drill like grade 8's

You can reuse the torx bolts, I just drilled my old threads out bigger and put bolts in them and I had to make my floor anyways. If you heat them with a torch until cherry red and put an impact on them, they should come right out.
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #22
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
I would use grade 8, stronger than grade 5, costs a little more. All the torx bolts in the belts and rollbar are grade 8. And they drill like grade 8's

You can reuse the torx bolts, I just drilled my old threads out bigger and put bolts in them and I had to make my floor anyways. If you heat them with a torch until cherry red and put an impact on them, they should come right out.
Time to take stock in PB Blaster
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
DirtEater
1982 CJ7 

As everyone else has said...very good write-up Bard.

I believe my roll bar is the same as yours. Bad thing is it's simply bolted to the windshield with some kind of sheet metal screw and one of them is stripped so it's not very secure and drives me crazy. I've never seen the nutserts before and the whole concept seems kind of weird. Sure would like to see them in person. May have to find an Ace Hardware nearby. I wonder if they have them Home Depot or Lowes. Looks like a great way to securely mount them to the windshield.

Where did you get your roll bar pads from? Can you simply order them from Quadratec for the YJ(92-95?). I can't post pics of mine cuz I can't figure out how from the few pics that are stored on my computer. The "insert image" tab at the top doesn't allow from the computer, unless I'm just a dummy......
33" Toyo M/T's on Pro Comp Xtreme Series 1069
Borla header and Catback Exhaust System
Jeeperman bumper w/ Ramsey Patriot 8000 - Jeeperman tire carrier/bumper
DirtEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #24
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post

I believe my roll bar is the same as yours. Bad thing is it's simply bolted to the windshield with some kind of sheet metal screw and one of them is stripped so it's not very secure and drives me crazy. I've never seen the nutserts before and the whole concept seems kind of weird. Sure would like to see them in person. May have to find an Ace Hardware nearby. I wonder if they have them Home Depot or Lowes. Looks like a great way to securely mount them to the windshield.

Where did you get your roll bar pads from? Can you simply order them from Quadratec for the YJ(92-95?). I can't post pics of mine cuz I can't figure out how from the few pics that are stored on my computer. The "insert image" tab at the top doesn't allow from the computer, unless I'm just a dummy......
To post images make yourself a photobucket acct. and put yout pics there then use the image link to cut and paste them to forum.
Unread 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #25
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
If you really want to get fancy, you can use stainless "ARP" bolts - which are grade 8 but have a pan head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post

Hi, thanks, Yes nutserts would fix it. I am sure Home depot or Lowes might have them. You can even go on line to any of those stores. Any hardware store might have them. Ace is local for me. Rollbar pads came with it. I will take a look and see what they are.
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quadratec, 4wd.com, ebay all have the roll bar pad for sale. If you switch to a family style cage like Bard you will need to buy the roll bar pads for a 92 to 95 YJ. I bought mine new off of ebay for $50.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #28
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Great write-up, especially for folks who don't weld their own stuff, and/or don't want to spend a lot on a custom cage!

Looks great!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...

Last edited by SKT; 05-11-2008 at 05:30 AM..
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #29
*Thunder
1979 CJ7 

I live in southern Indiana and nobody had heard of nutserts (or rivnuts), not even my freindly Ace Hardware. Lowes and Home Depot definately didn't know what I was talking about. I eventually ordered some from Fastenal. I bought a riveter from Harbor Freight tools for $15-20 bucks, but it only sets the smaller nutserts. It actually came with 3 or 4 different sizes. Fastenal had the larger riveter, but it costs around $100.00. I can't see paying that with so many other things I want to do.

Where did you get the nusert tool you used?
*Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Thunder View Post
I live in southern Indiana and nobody had heard of nutserts (or rivnuts), not even my freindly Ace Hardware. Lowes and Home Depot definately didn't know what I was talking about. I eventually ordered some from Fastenal. I bought a riveter from Harbor Freight tools for $15-20 bucks, but it only sets the smaller nutserts. It actually came with 3 or 4 different sizes. Fastenal had the larger riveter, but it costs around $100.00. I can't see paying that with so many other things I want to do.

Where did you get the nusert tool you used?
hmm,, might be location, my store seems to have everything. I will ask if they are ACE or someone else. I think I pay $2.10 per nutsert, the tool is like $3.40 or $4.20 and the bolts are what they costs. I go there atleast 3 times a week for something. I could do a package deal and mail them if you want. PM me if you want me to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.