Changing Changing AMC 20 2.73 to 3.73 - advice on carrier change out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing Changing AMC 20 2.73 to 3.73 - advice on carrier change out?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Changing Changing AMC 20 2.73 to 3.73 - advice on carrier change out?

It would seem that I'll need a "3.07 or greater" carrier in order to change the gearing on my AMC 20. My understanding is that "carrier" is the same as "differential" in terms of ordering the part. Question is, will I have to buy the whole carrier with all the parts, or can I get the bare diff and move the guts over?

Alternatively, what if I wanted to take the opportunity to install a PowerTrax?

Please help me get my head around this...

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You only need to purchase a bare carrier case with no internals. You move all the spider gears, thrust washers and pin from the old carrier case to the new one. As for the option of purchasing a Powertrax unit, that only requires removing the spider gears, thrust washers and pin and putting that unit in place of. They are considered the 'lunchbox" type posi units which requires no removal of the original carrier case, everything stays where it is.

Dana 30 axles require new carrier case when using gear range from 3:07-3:54 and a another for 3:73-5:38

AMC 20 axles require new carrier case when using gear range from 3:07-5:38

Example: My factory gears were 3:31 and I changed them to 4:10's. I only needed to purchased a new front Dana 30 carrier to do the swap.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I agree with Keith. I did this same change back in the mid 90's. New carriers, new gears (R&P), new bearings, shims, and seals. But I had bought a rear TrakLok carrier with all the guts.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
You only need to purchase a bare carrier case with no internals. You move all the spider gears, thrust washers and pin from the old carrier case to the new one. As for the option of purchasing a Powertrax unit, that only requires removing the spider gears, thrust washers and pin and putting that unit in place of. They are considered the 'lunchbox" type posi units which requires no removal of the original carrier case, everything stays where it is.

Dana 30 axles require new carrier case when using gear range from 3:07-3:54 and a another for 3:73-5:38

AMC 20 axles require new carrier case when using gear range from 3:07-5:38

Example: My factory gears were 3:31 and I changed them to 4:10's. I only needed to purchased a new front Dana 30 carrier to do the swap.
Keith,

Boy, how some pics would help to get my head around this post.

hint hint....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.