Changing a 304 intake manifold and carb - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Changing a 304 intake manifold and carb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Problem with all of the other carbs, is you mention a hill or off camber situation and they will not run. Holly, Edelbrock, etc are all good on street driven vehicles. Anything offroad, and they fail. Either go with a Q-Jet (they are actually very easy to set up) or go EFI.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

The Holley Truck Avenger is an off road carburetor!
That 'I believe' will out of the box, out perform any Q-jet that someone has invested the time in to convert. There was a time when there was not much alternative but to properly convert a Q-jet to run about off road. Having installed and run [All Three Truck Avengers] in the two jeeps we run, my Sons 401 with the 670 Holley Truck avenger/ 4 speed Muncie / Dana 44 Detroit locker which is two wheel drive low to the ground for blasting around the Oregon sand dunes and my 304 set up for the woods and mud, running the 470 Truck Avenger. I can personally attest to the fact of there simplicity and function. I have a 770 truck avenger used once and back in the box waiting for the next 401 build.
They work well.
Red Neck
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #18
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

LMAO.. They all need modification just to do what a Q-jet does, stock. Modify a Q-jet a little (very little) and those street carbs will never come close.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

82jeepCj7- The only way I could believe that is to have you follow me through the hills and dunes. The side hill and incline I have had flooding problems with in the past just does not exist for me any longer. Can you say the same?
In my rigs, I have run, Q jet/ Carter/ Rochester/Edelbrock/ Weber/ Clifford Intake with a Holley four barrel on a 258 inline 6. and rebuilt carbs on Monza RX7s - Nissan 240z / and others - name it. I am not the new kid on the block.
If you have time to spend and you enjoy what it is you do = Do it- Just don't knock what works unless you have actually done it correctly in the first place. A Q Jet was built for flat ground! In order to do it right I will bet if you will have to add towers, so you can keep the lake from overflowing. Jeepers.
Red Neck

i

i
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I think you have dyslexia.

The Q-Jet is one of very few carbs that will run on an incline or off camber situation. All of the others you have listed, Edelbrock, Holley, Carter, etc, will flood out even hitting a pot hole in the road. I have been wheeling for almost 30 years. I know what does and does not work. This is why I only run a Q-jet on my Jeep. A large portion of the people I wheel with have tried those carbs as well. All of the rest have failed, even with modifications.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #21
mopar440cu
Mopar440cu

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckCorvette View Post
The Holley Truck Avenger is an off road carburetor!
That 'I believe' will out of the box, out perform any Q-jet that someone has invested the time in to convert. There was a time when there was not much alternative but to properly convert a Q-jet to run about off road. Having installed and run [All Three Truck Avengers] in the two jeeps we run, my Sons 401 with the 670 Holley Truck avenger/ 4 speed Muncie / Dana 44 Detroit locker which is two wheel drive low to the ground for blasting around the Oregon sand dunes and my 304 set up for the woods and mud, running the 470 Truck Avenger. I can personally attest to the fact of there simplicity and function. I have a 770 truck avenger used once and back in the box waiting for the next 401 build.
They work well.
Red Neck
Have you tried the bigger truck avenger on your 304? How was it? I thought the 470 was to small for a V8.
mopar440cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #22
mopar440cu
Mopar440cu

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
LMAO.. They all need modification just to do what a Q-jet does, stock. Modify a Q-jet a little (very little) and those street carbs will never come close.
Ok, I have to ask. What kind of modifications does someone have to do to a Qjet for offroad? Jets, spring loaded floats?

Thanks,
Steve
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar440cu View Post
Ok, I have to ask. What kind of modifications does someone have to do to a Qjet for offroad? Jets, spring loaded floats?

Thanks, Steve
Nothing is needed from my experience. I've read that some will raise the float level slightly for steep ascents, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

The Q-jets float bowl design is what makes it a superior off-road carb without modification.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The only thing I have done to mine is re-jet it for use on a smaller CID motor. Smaller primary rods and power piston spring to match the engine vacuum. I did make the APT adjustable by milling off the cover over the head of the adjustment. I removed the adjustment screw, cleaned the area really well.
My float height is set at .295

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #25
mopar440cu
Mopar440cu

1979 CJ5 

Thank you guys!!
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar440cu View Post
Have you tried the bigger truck avenger on your 304? How was it? I thought the 470 was to small for a V8.
No as a matter of fact I purchased the 470 TA for the 304 to lower the cfm I was running prior to and it is working perfectly.
I also set up the 670 TA for my son's 401 and he has been running it wide open, in the Oregon sand dunes. To go bigger for either engine is not necessary, unless you build up quite a bit.
Incline, decent and side hill flooding problems are eliminated.
Red Neck
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #27
mopar440cu
Mopar440cu

1979 CJ5 

Thank you both!!
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #28
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
I think you have dyslexia.

The Q-Jet is one of very few carbs that will run on an incline or off camber situation. All of the others you have listed, Edelbrock, Holley, Carter, etc, will flood out even hitting a pot hole in the road. I have been wheeling for almost 30 years. I know what does and does not work. This is why I only run a Q-jet on my Jeep. A large portion of the people I wheel with have tried those carbs as well. All of the rest have failed, even with modifications.
82JeepCJ7
I am sure there are those that can do something with the Q-jet that gets the secondaries to open under vacuum properly. In another thread I made mention of spending part of the summer in 1967-68 trying to do just that, on a 1967 Camaro-396ci-ss-rs/ rag top. I went so far as to replace the Q-jet with another one-new in the box! Same problem for me. For what ever reason, Myself I did not find anything easy about trying to adjust the secondaries to open sooner under vacuum on a Q-jet. Although in 1967-68 we did not have the internet to help us along as we do today. The 102 octane pump fuel [in those days] did a much better job running through a Holley carburetor soaking the pistons and pushing that 400 HP rig down the quarter mile or just down Broadway racing a friend for the heck of it.
By the way I tightened my first fan belt on a Willy's in about 1962.
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckCorvette View Post
82JeepCJ7
I am sure there are those that can do something with the Q-jet that gets the secondaries to open under vacuum properly. In another thread I made mention of spending part of the summer in 1967-68 trying to do just that, on a 1967 Camaro-396ci-ss-rs/ rag top. I went so far as to replace the Q-jet with another one-new in the box! Same problem for me. For what ever reason, Myself I did not find anything easy about trying to adjust the secondaries to open sooner under vacuum on a Q-jet. Although in 1967-68 we did not have the internet to help us along as we do today. The 102 octane pump fuel [in those days] did a much better job running through a Holley carburetor soaking the pistons and pushing that 400 HP rig down the quarter mile or just down Broadway racing a friend for the heck of it.
By the way I tightened my first fan belt on a Willy's in about 1962.
I suspect you were running a big cam that didn't produce enough vacuum to open the secondaries properly.

The transition can be a bit tricky, but my 360, with a 250-256 cam, has no problem opening the secondaries on my Q-jet.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Matt - I was young and just ran out of patients, knowledge and options. Giving things consideration currently, the cam installed at that time was almost assuredly the culprit. Once fixed I never gave it another thought, until now.

Red Neck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.