Center Console or not! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Center Console or not!

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Frankandsteph
1979 CJ7 

Center Console or not!

I just got a new Tuffy for my CJ. Not really sure if I like it or not, seems to make the inside look smaller, but it looks nice. Anyone have an opinion? I do not think I need the storage space, but I am truely conflicted and for $275 I want to make the correct choice!

-Frank

Frankandsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
cj5russ

1976 CJ5 

I'm getting one for mine. I was a little concerned about making it seem small in there, but the center trans hump in my cj5 is pretty useless space without a console.

I think it's really personal preference. If you think it looks too small in there and don't need the storage, toss it up for sale to recover some money from it.

Or try it for a while, see if you like it as an arm rest, see if the storage starts to pay off.

What size did you get? 6.5" 8" or 10" and did you get the series II or deluxe stereo?
cj5russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

This will be contigent upon your personal needs. I have a security console strictly to keep my personal items from getting ripped off while my DD is parked outside of businesses. I also like the console being there as my interior feels "naked" without it. I always had one so I guess I'm use to it.

If you have no need for the storage and the space can be used better some other way I think you have your answer.
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankandsteph View Post
I just got a new Tuffy for my CJ. Not really sure if I like it or not, seems to make the inside look smaller, but it looks nice. Anyone have an opinion? I do not think I need the storage space, but I am truely conflicted and for $275 I want to make the correct choice!

-Frank
I was torn as well but needed somewhere to lock things up. I went with Smittybilt Tuffy knockoff because i wasnt sure.

I love it and glad i saved my money on Tuffy. Well worth $82 shipped.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Frankandsteph
1979 CJ7 

My daughter told me to keep it, so in it went. I bought the 6.5 tuffy with the stereo box. I like it now it us in. I had them key it to my matching glove box!
Frankandsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
I was torn as well but needed somewhere to lock things up. I went with Smittybilt Tuffy knockoff because i wasnt sure.

I love it and glad i saved my money on Tuffy. Well worth $82 shipped.
Same here. I got Smittybilt for about $85 or so. No issues with it at all - good purchase IMO
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
LooseWingnut
1985 CJ7 

mine makes a great arm rest. i love it
LooseWingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
RCSloan
1982 CJ7 

I found a smoke grenade can from WWII in a local gun shop and it is the perfect size to slide between the seats with room to access the seatbelts. It sits low enough so that I don't feel like I've lost any room but it's easily accessible and I can lock things up when I need to leave it in a public area. Obviously it's not something you can order from Quadratech, but your local gun shops or Army/Navy surplus stores may have a grenade can that is a similar fit.
RCSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you are a pack rat, don't get it. It will just worsen your condition. I think I spent 10 min. just trying to find the bottom of mine one day.
I also have the Tuffy glove box. That's nice also if you just need a little room to lock things up like a camera or wallet.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you have stock seats, the 10" Tuffy console fills the space perfectly, and gives you a lot more storage than the 6.5"

I sent back one of the cheapo knockoffs and bought the real deal. I love it.

Matt
restored4.jpg   radio9.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was the best accessory I got. The only reasonably secure place to put stuff on my Jeep

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

I definitely need something.
I hate not having an arm rest in the CJ.

And who doesn't need more secure storage in a CJ?

As far as the depth being an issue, I'm thinking a fabbed up lift out tray may make things a little easier to find.

On the other hand, those Tuffy units are wicked expensive....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like my Tuffy. It holds the stereo in a convenient place and I can lock up items when needed.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

I found a dealr demo that had some star cutout on one side to show off the construction. I covered the hole and turned it into a comm console plus it has a 200amp master switch inside that is a small theft deterrent. Under the lower shelf I put in is a fuse block to power all the goodies.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
wm69

I used to laugh at stupid people who spent that much on a console.

Then I bought a used one.

Then I bought two more new ones for the other Jeeps.

Yep, I'm the biggest tightwad in the world, but some things are just worth it.

They make a GREAT padded arm rest, when riding on the farm the women can sit on it comfortably, and you can secure your stuff.

Oh, and the stereo compartment is waterproof so no more ruined stereos.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.