catalytic converter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > catalytic converter question

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-20-2002, 07:39 AM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

catalytic converter question

I have a 1976 CJ-5 w/ 304 and I am getting to the part of the frame up restoration where I have to start thinking about exhaust. I saw the following exhaust system and figured for the money, and the fact that it will just bolt in, I would like to do it.

http://www.4wd.com/Shop4wd/ProductDe...ductSku=882106

However, I live in CT and I have been to the DMV site and I am trying to figure out if I need to have original exhaust or not. See, I bought it in VA and the jeep didn't even have exhaust on it. It had rotted off. So, not sure what to do here.

First question, did 1976 CJ-5's have catalytic converters originally and second, anyone gone through a CT inspection lately with a 25+ year old vehicle. Apparently I have to trailer it up to Wethersfield for the inspection. It is $30 to have it "safety inspected", however, if you fail, you go home with no registration and have to do it again later on.

That part sucks because to trailer it up there is really a pain in the arse because I have to take a day off of work, get a trailer, etc. OK, off topic I know, but I figured I would let a little out.

Thanks for any info you can share.

cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:41 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Oh, one more thing. Since it will be registered as an
"antique", I don't have to pass emissions for it is exempted. So this leads me to believe that a cat is not necessary, but who knows.
Unread 10-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The cat shouldn't be a problem, since they didn't start coming on CJ's until 79(with the posable exception of Cal.). As for the headers, be sure to call the man. as "bolt on" is a realitive term(some headers require disassembly of motor mounts and towers ect....). Since headers usually wrap around the starter and cluch linkages, you might also want to ask about accesability.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

sorry, bolt on is a relative term. I mean, I can get a system for $350 that will reduce noise, go on smoothly(hopefully) and pass the inspection.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.