Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

cat

687 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Boggy Bottom 
#1 ·
does the cat actually help emissions when at idle? in my county it has to be on there and has to pass emissions too. i was wondering if i hollowed it out if it would hurt on my sniffer test. thanks!

#2 ·
in certain cases that will affect the hydrocarbon and nox levels.hollowing it out wont make a noticable power difference unless it it actually plugged.also if a real butthead of an inspector noticed the bolts in that area had been messed with he could pulll it loose for a closer exam,then youd be in alot of trouble.my advice;dont do it

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by KG4PAM:
i was wondering if i hollowed it out if it would hurt on my sniffer test. thanks!
Hell yeah! The cat heats up to burn off most of the remaining pollutants from the exhaust. On a EGR-equipped vehicle, what doesn't get re-burned passes out to the cat and if the cat is operating properly, will pass much cleaner emissions out the pipe.

Will you get better performance without it? Of course, but all that means is that it's one link in the emissions system; you have to pretty much take them all out to make your ride sano.

Just my opinions here, but I say unless you got yourself a race engine, the stock emissions system should stay intact for reasons of predictabilty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.