Caster angle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Caster angle question

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Caster angle question

Is this an accurate way to measure caster?

If it is, then I have a problem. it is hard to see in the pics, but it is registering 1.75-2.5 degrees of caster (give or take a degree or two.)

Also, for those of you that have played around with shackle length, is there any kind of estimation on how many degrees of caster are added/subtracted per inch of change to the shackle length? I'm trying to figure out if I reduce my shackles by an inch or two, how much that will affect my caster.

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
iengle

Accurate? No, but a decent way to get a starting point. You really need to know the angle from ball joint to ball joint -- if there are any caster sleeves in the upper, you can't measure that from the outside of the inner C.

Bring out the old geometry skills and I'm sure you can figure out the change in caster by length of shackle. But, the best suggestion is going to be to go with the shortest shackle as possible and get your lift by a better route (spring, SOA, etc.).

Iz
iengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is probably OK what your showing. I typically go with the bottom ball joint. You'll need to take the zerk out to do it.
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

There is some great info here:

http://extremegarage.com/techtips/stechtip.htm

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5_Fan
There is some great info here:

http://extremegarage.com/techtips/stechtip.htm
You are correct...like this for instance:

Quote:
The reason we have an offset angle between upper and lower spindle points is to allow optimum steering and handling for a given vehicle. A positive caster angle is used to allow predictable steering of the vehicle. If the caster was zero with the upper ball joint exactly above the lower ball joint, steering would be erratic, the vehicle would be very hard to control and the front wheels would wander all over the road. By creating a backward 'lean' (a positive caster angle), the vertical travel of the front wheels is 'dampened.' The more positive the caster angle, the more controllable the vehicle is at higher speeds. As caster is lessened (closer to zero), the vehicle's front wheels will react faster to steering input, but highway stability will be decreased.
But that isn't really pertinent to the question of the best way to measure caster when the axle is assembled and you can't get to the balljoints....

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
jeepin in maine

any variance in the width of the knuckle from top to bottom will throw your reading off.best way is to pull a zerk fitting and put your angle finder on the top or bottom balljoint
jeepin in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll do that - thanks.

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
Unread 01-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I want to say the top part of the "C" is a little narrower than the bottom so that's gonna throw you off a bit. Like mentioned already, go from the flat on the bottom ball joint....

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If anything, then, yes, the top would be more narrow....which means I may be running closer to zero caster. No wonder it wanders all over the road...

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.