Caster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Caster

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
78orangejeeper
1978 CJ7 

Caster

Does anyone have a picture of the axle with the correct caster angle with or without wedges? I am having a hard time visulizing this? I am having some of the same wandering issues while driving. The PO put a new steering box before I purchased. since, I have replaced the steering shaft which was completely worn out. It has a 2 1/2 in suspension lift so I think it may be a caster alignment issue. Thanks for the help.

78orangejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are the shackle stock length or longer? The only real way to measure caster is with an angle finder on the knuckles.
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
78orangejeeper
1978 CJ7 

Stock shackles
78orangejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post
The only real way to measure caster is with an angle finder on the knuckles.
Well, The ONLY REAL way to get a correct caster measurment is an alignment.
An angle finder will get you in the ballpark, If done correctly.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
CSP

Even if you had a picture it's not like the difference will be visible.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Skotter

Do a search for "castor" and there's a comprehensive write up on it (might even be sticky, not sure). I'd stay away from shims. Generally, they're either going to negatively affect your castor or your pinion angle. Might help one, but it's going to hurt the other.
Skotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotter View Post
Do a search for "castor" and there's a comprehensive write up on it (might even be sticky, not sure). I'd stay away from shims. Generally, they're either going to negatively affect your castor or your pinion angle. Might help one, but it's going to hurt the other.
That's true especially when you consider that stock caster agnle from the factory is 3 degress +1 (4 degrees?). Mine was only 2 degrees and I added in 4 degree steel shims for a total of 6 degrees positive. Drives and handles excellently. As you say, the compromise is in the front U joint angle but I normally run with my hubs free anyway and seldom exceed 20 MPH in 4WD. I run a 2" lift with my skid plate lowered 5/8" to correct rear U joint angles. I've noticed that with this setup, there is a barely noticeable angle at the front pinion U joint. If I really wanted to run with my front hubs locked on the highway, a CV joint could be used at the transfer case front output assuming that there is enough room at the skid plate to accomodate the bulk of the CV .
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotter View Post
Do a search for "caster" and you'll have even better results.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Skotter

Thanks PP, it's all in the little details, like proper spelling.
Skotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.