Carter YF experts, I'm running way too rich - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter YF experts, I'm running way too rich

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Alright, well I picked up a Holley 2300 2bbl for cheap that's in great shape. I'm going to go through it anyways and clean it real well and put in a rebuild kit with new seals and accelerator pump to make sure it's 100%. It's a marine model, so it's got an electric choke and the fuel bowl overflow points back down into the carburetor. All I have to do is change that with a Dremel and then decide whether I want to install a manual choke kit or wire up the automatic choke if it works. I called Holley and they couldn't ID it other than that it is a 2300 model, but I'm guessing it's the 500cfm mode.

It's got 2 #70 jets installed in it, and my stock Carter YF has a single #70 jet. Obviously this thing is going to be running way too rich jetted that way. The smallest jets Holley makes is #41. Should I start at 41s, or does anyone else have any opinions?

Unread 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
HelNbakWarzalot

I'm new to this forum and appreciate the detailed write ups.
There are several regarding the Carter Yf; but this one seems to address my problem. Running rich, especially at idle, with excessive visible fuel coming from the discharge nozzle.
Looking at my pictures and reading this post; I'm going to adjust my float and see if this resolves my problem. The float doesn't seem to have fluid in it, and I submerged it in near boiling water checking for leaking bubbles; it seems sound. Metering rod jet seems to be adjusted correctly, and pump diaphragm is new.
Could someone identify the holes I numbered? And does the discharge nozzle look damaged, and can it be replaced?

HelNbakWarzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

1. Air jet for idle circuit
2. Air idle bleed passage
3. Anti Perc passage
4. Main discharge nozzle
5. Pump Jet (accelerator pump)
6. Discharge Check ball and weight.

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Carb...leratorAni.gif

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Carb...rcuitSmall.gif

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/YF/Y...lored-idle.jpg

your float looks like it's adjusted a little too high.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
HelNbakWarzalot

Thanks.
When I removed the carb, if I tipped it in the direction of the discharge nozzle, a steady dribble of fuel would come out of the nozzle. Is this because of the maladjusted float or is something else going on?
I couldn't get your civilianjeep links to work. It looks like you intended GIFs; but they're linked to an Ad site.
Thanks again!
HelNbakWarzalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.