Carter YF did not have discharge ball or weight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter YF did not have discharge ball or weight

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
bprimrose
1978 CJ5 

Carter YF did not have discharge ball or weight

I just rebuilt a Carter YF from a 1978 CJ5 258. There was no discharge ball or weight. So...I just put it back together. Now the motor stalls chokes and runs rough until it warms up. But it didn't do that before the rebuild. SHould I pull the Carb and find a weight and Ball?
Thanks

bprimrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did you get a rebuild kit? They usually have them included.

But that may not be the problem. There may be other problems with re-adjusting the carb or in rebuilding.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
bprimrose
1978 CJ5 

ball and weight

John,
Thanks for the reply.
There was a ball but no weight in the rebuild kit.
I used the Jeep service manual for adjustments. What adjustment could I need to make. I really am an amateur.
The Jeep starts great, Idles high, but runs well. THen when you give it gas it bucks and sputters and stalls without feathering the gas. If you try to drive it it does the same thing. However, after warmup it runs great smooth?
Thanks
Brian
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

What type of choke do you have on it. Automatic or manual. Are you sure the choke closes properly?

Also When adjusting the metering needle, did you push down on the pump as shown before adjusting the screw? I've made this mistake before.
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
bprimrose
1978 CJ5 

Automatic, heat activated. MAybe a dumb question but, Any special way to adjust choke closing other than to look?
I did push down on the pump before adjusting the screw. This was a first for me. So I could have done anything!!
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well there is a procedure but for me, when the engine is cold I just adjust the cover until the choke valve is fully shut.

Here is the procedure.
mchasamc_1973_4-2-7_jpg.jpg   mchasamc_1973_4-2-8_jpg.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
bprimrose
1978 CJ5 

carb problem continues

Well, it just goes on.
Again, this is from a complete newbie.
Per your advise, I checked the choke valve when cold and it was closed all the way. However on starting it opens 1/2 to 3/4s.
Spits and sputters when I try to give it gas or accelerate. When warm, it runs fine.

I appreciate any feedback on this issue!!
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well a simple test would be to rotate the choke cover a couple of degrees richer. This delays the opening of the choke a little longer. The choke should open a little when the engine starts. There is a piston in the choke housing that when vacuum is applied as when the engine starts will pull the choke open so you don't kill and flood the engine.

Also don't overlook how well your ignition is working either. A good strong spark will help fire off a cold mixture.

Looks like the choke should only open around 1/4" at startup.
mchasamc_1973_4-2-9_jpg.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.