Carter YF carb problem (maybe or maybe not) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter YF carb problem (maybe or maybe not)

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

Carter YF carb problem (maybe or maybe not)

I just installed a new remanufactored Carter carb mainly because you had to pump and pump the gas pedal to get it to start after it sits for a day or so. and it was started to run a little sluggish. I put the new carb on and a big difference in the performance, but I still have to pump the pedal after it sits for awhile. My question is on the fuel filter I know the smaller of the two outlet spouts suppose to be on the top. But does the intire filter need to be above the float bowl of the carb? Mine fuel filter is lower than the float bowl. I'm wondering if gas can still siphon back thru the small line in the fuel filter?
Where is the gas going?

pnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Interesting....

The stock placement of the fuel filter is above the float bowl....

A pinhole leak in the suction line from the tank to the pump can also cause it to empty out when it sits. these leaks at first only show as stains because it is a suction line. The rubber lines at either end or the clips where the steel line hooks tot he frame are the suspect spots.

A bad backflow valve in the pump can also cause this. To test, get it running, then shut it down and unhook the line where it goes into the pump. Only a little should come out, if a whole bunch comes out, that could be the trouble.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.