Which carter carburetor is on my '80 CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which carter carburetor is on my '80 CJ7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
kramadan

Which carter carburetor is on my '80 CJ7?

Hi, I need to order a new quadratec carter bbd carb for my '80 CJ7, but there are three different models on the quadratec website and I'm not sure which one mine is. I'll upload a few pics and would really appreciate a nod in the right direction!

image-252186302.jpg

image-1978361574.jpg

image-4099492154.jpg

image-4266659756.jpg

kramadan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

BBD Carter
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Whoa, those are expensive.
Why not rebuild it for that price?
Yours looks like mine on my '83 but I also know it's an older version carb without the stepper motors since it was nuttered.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Fill in your Profile and you may get better answers, still wrong but specifically wrong. Where you live and your drive train would be important info in selecting a carb.

Looks like an 1983-1986 manifold but a possibly 1980 tag on that carb. It reads 8368S but my book only starts at 1981. I have 8308S and 8338S but not 8368S. Could you check again the Tag number?

It is however a non-stepper non-emissions non-feedback Carter BBD with an electric choke for a 258ci, what you would expect to see on a 1980 CJ. I am unsure if it is for an Auto or a manual from the Tag, which gearbox do you have?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The new one to fit 81 to 90 for $320 will fit. It is a "BBD type" and from Crown which are both warning signs as is being new and made by Carter.

For $460 there is a remanufactured 1980 BBD without electronics. This is the one for your CJ.

Whether or not you need the remanufactured one will depend I suspect on local smog laws and whether you have to retain original equipment.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you have basic skills and the manual I would suggest spending $15 on the rebuild kit and $10 on carb cleaner and put in a couple of hours trying to resurrect it.

Before you do though have a wiggle of the throttle spindle as over time they CAN eat into the metal of the carb and wear an air path that is most undesirable. If there is very little play it is worth attempting a rebuild and clean.

I struggled for 5 years with a BBD, some years it performed OK. I finally came into some money and bought a Weber 38DGMS for less than the reman Carter BBD> FABULOUS.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
kramadan

Thanks Bagus! I'll definitely fill in my profile as soon as I find out how to do that (does it have to be via the website?) in the meantime, I live in Cairo, Egypt, where it's blazing hot year round, and the only smog law is that it's every man for himself! It's a manual gearbox.

I've had another good look and the tag actually reads 8388S (rather than 8368S). Is your recommendation still the same?

Unfortunately I'm just a beginner so I'm gonna try the rebuild someday soon just for the experience, but for now if I want the car to run I'm gonna have to shell out for a new carb..

Thx again
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

A Napa kit has everything I ever needed. Buy a 1 gallon can of carb dip. From napa or Walmart. Soak everything not plastic over night. Every hole you see shoot with carb cleaner. The nastier the better. (Berkable carb cleaner will remove paint. That I like). EVERY hole. Get a pin vice and drill out the emulsion tubes as per my YouTube video. My channel is "EugeneKingify" .037 is I believe the size. Learn by doing. If you screw it up do it again. You bought a CJ it will make you broke or turn you into a mechanic. Put it back together paying attention to the needle assembly and . Jeephammer use to say the only problem with the BBD is the person putting it together. Any questions ask! There are many here that would or will say junk it for a motorcraft or Weber 38. 20 bucks fixes most problems. Putting new bushings in fixes the rest. That's about 25 to 30 more dollars and a hell of a lot cheeper than a reman carb or a ford or weber replacement. Learn the search tool and search my posts. In one of them I took a junkyard carb and totally redone it. Including bushings for the throttle shafts. With part numbers for everything I used.
image-1331183684.jpg

image-524685962.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
kramadan

Thanks Web, this'll definitely help when I eventually do attempt a rebuild, and I'll be sure to check out your YouTube clips. One of the problems I have living in Egypt, is that I can't find the right tools or cleaning agents, for example Carb Cleaner just doesn't exist here. I asked around and found that mechanics commonly use paint thinner as a substitute, even I know that sounds like bad news. I've searched and read several posts on the subject, it seems WD40 is sometimes used instead, and it's available here. Can you confirm or recommend an alternative that might be commonly available over here?
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Paint thinner will work on the metal parts. Problem is its not under pressure which helps in cleaning.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.