Carter Carb BBD rebuild on 1983 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter Carb BBD rebuild on 1983 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Carter Carb BBD rebuild on 1983 CJ7

My husband and I started to take apart our Carter Carburetor BBD off our 258 I6 last night. We had bought the rebuild kit and are in the process of cleaning everything up. My question is in regards to replacement parts. There is a Sole-Vac (electromagnetic solenoid actuator/vacuum diaphragm) that was attached to the carb. I cannot tell from my reading whether this is an attachment or is normally part of the carb. We need to replace it as there is a melted hole in it, but cannot find a replacement part, nor do I know how to ask for what we need, because I honestly don't know if this is a separate part or would come as part of a new carburetor (like if we were to order a new carter-style carb from quadratec). Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are learning as we go, and definitely don't know much at this point.

caryfh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum! The BBD is a complicated one to rebuild, but it can be done. The sol vac is supposed to be there.

This page will show you a bit about the sol vac: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/solvac.htm

I do not know if you can get a replacement sol vac alone or not. Perhaps someone can provide detail there.

Before taking the step of buying a rebuilt or reproduction BBD, you might consider converting to one of several other kinds of carburetors such as as Weber or a rebuilt motocraft 2100 or 2150. Those conversions are not 100% drop in because you have to compensate for the different mounting bolt pattern, different throttle linkage, etc. But the benefit is you're getting a better, less-trouble-prone carburetor.

The BBD can be made to run right, but it takes some patience. Also, don't forget that the carburetor is only one element of many systems under the hood. If you have ignition problems, vacuum leaks, or fuel delivery problems, then a rebuilt carb may not fix all your problems. The '83 and newer models all have an array of sensors, wires, and tubes used to feed data to the computer.

Here's a page (unfinished) that details rebuilding the BBD (although the sol vac isn't included)

Since you have an '83, you might also be aware of the Nutter Bypass and the procedures to remove the associated wires, vacuum tubes, computer, brackets, and sensors.
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Great link with so many helpful pics!! I bookmarked it for future use. I think we will search for a salvage yard in the area and see if we can find a useable sol-vac and attempt the rebuild of the carter carb. If it doesn't work out well we can always try to do the Weber one. Thanks for the tips.
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

You bet. You might try ebay too. I have 2 boxes of BBD parts but not a sol-vac. PM me if you need any other parts though.
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Okay, so we got the carburetor apart, all cleaned up, and are nearly complete in putting it back together, but are running into a couple hurdles I was hoping you might be able to help with. The first is I am trying to set the idle speed screw, but am having trouble as my husband removed it and failed to take a good picture and also didn't write any notes about what it pressed up against or how many turns he backed the screw out. Also in this same area, I have another spring-loaded screw that presses against the end of the sol-vac. I'm wondering whether this one should slightly be pressing on the tip or if it should just rest next to it. Sorry, I know that sounds a little confusing. Oh, and my last question is this. I have a spring. I cannot recall where it went. AHHHH!! The spring is smaller in diameter than the one that went on the plunger assembly. As I have been looking at your link it doesn't quite make it far enough to show where that spring came from (and again, my husband was getting ahead of me in the disassembly process). In the rebuilder paper that came with the gaskets it shows a similar sized spring called the "idle enrichment spring" but from the diagram I cannot tell at all where this actually attaches to the carb.

Other than that, so far it's been a really good learning process and I think it's nearly ready to mount back on the Jeep (where the fine tuning I'm sure will happen).
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryfh View Post
The first is I am trying to set the idle speed screw..
The idle speed screw should hold the butterfly valves open just slightly. You won't be able to set it much more accurately than that until you get the carb back on the Jeep and get the engine warmed up. Then you can set the idle at 650. Make sure you have a tachometer.

Quote:
Also in this same area, I have another spring-loaded screw that presses against the end of the sol-vac. ..
Unfortunately I have no experience with adjusting the solvac or the screw. Maybe someone else can weigh on on that.

Quote:
In the rebuilder paper that came with the gaskets it shows a similar sized spring called the "idle enrichment spring" but from the diagram I cannot tell at all where this actually attaches to the carb.
Not sure about that one. I looked around the Internet and didn't come up with anything solid. It might be that the spring is for a different model carb.

When you get it back on the the engine, make sure you don't have a vaccum leak where the carb mates to the intake manifold. You can check for leaks by getting it running and then spraying some carb cleaner (or use an UN-lit propane torch) in that area. If the idle changes, then the gas/vapor is being sucked into the manifold somewhere and you have a leak.

Have you removed/reinstalled the base idle mix screws on your BBD? Those are the 2 matching spring-loaded screws that go into the bottom most piece of the carb.
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Wait, I might have found where the missing spring goes. Is there supposed to be a spring that the Step Up Piston Assembly pushes against? I think I see one in the picture, but I know I didn't seat one into that opening before putting this in place.
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Here come some pictures

Here come some pictures to hopefully help answer some of my questions as we put the carburetor/air cleaner back on the Jeep. The first picture is a side view of the engine with the hose coming off of the PCV valve. Where does this hose go to?

Next is the back side of the air cleaner assembly. I believe a hose is supposed to connect into the back of this that sends air through the PCV filter, but I don't see a hose at all, just this shiny upside down bowl-type thing. Also, with the air cleaner assembly their are two holes in the bottom which appear to be able to accept hoses, but wasn't sure whether they are supposed to have hoses or are just left alone.

Next picture is the mystery hose origin. I don't know what the name of this part is on the driver's side next to some of the fluid reservoirs (would love to know that too), but it appears to have four hoses that come off of it, varying in size. The one that doesn't presently have a destination is the one farthest away from you in the picture, it's also one of the largest hoses that starts here.

Okay, finally is a picture take from the front/driver's side looking back towards the carburetor. In the upper left you can see the side of the sol-vac. The top black error points at a piece of the sol-vac which descends at a 90-degree angle and appears to be missing a hose. Then the second black arrow points at a part attached to whatever part is below the carburetor and sends a similar sized piece out parallel to the the ground. Both of these pieces appear to be the same diameter and both appear to be missing a hose.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a hardcore newbie, so I appologize for sounding incredibly blonde.
sideview_pcv_hose.jpg   backofaircleaner.jpg   mystery_hose.jpg   sol_vac_hose2.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

First, have a look at this page to provide some insight on what connects to what, especially how the EGR connects:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm

The EGR valve connects to the TVS and the other side of the TVS connects to the CTO.

I have uploaded 2 images. In the first image, you need to connect the two areas with a short hose. If you want to be closer to the factory original equipment, then discard the "upside down bowl' as it is not original. There should be a 90* elbow there. The elbow connects to a short hose that goes to the plastic nipple on the air filter. (see numbers 4 and 5 in the diagram below)

The second shot is from the 1984-86 factory service manual (I couldn't find the '83) and shows the PCV hardware.

The thing with the 4 hoses is the charcoal cannister. Read about that here: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/evaporat.htm

The other question is this: Do you want to keep your CJ as much like the original setup as possible? Or do you just want it to run reliably? Or both?
backofaircleaner.jpg   84-pcv-diag.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Also, this diagram shows where the vacuum nipple on the Sol Vac connects:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm

Looks for "Carb Sol-Vac" on the image. It's just above the carburetor in the image, and below the EGR valve. Note that the image shows the engine sideways.

If you intend to re-work the 258 so that it works/looks like the factory setup, fine, many people have done that. Keep in mind, however, that many folks have also done away with much of what you see in the diagram. If done properly, you can end up with a well running engine that still runs clean. Note if you're in an emissions-controlled area, then you need to consider that before modifying the original equipment.
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Wow, great diagrams. After I make my boys some breakfast I'm going to go lift the hood and see what I can identify. Quick question on the PCV diagram. I think we are missing the PCV solenoid, as the hose coming off of the PCV valve doesn't have another appartus in its line. I'm also wondering what part of the carburetor this is attaching to. It appears to be something on the bottom closest to the tub wall, but then also looks like it attaches to another hose in the line-up. I have a small hose that comes off the back of the carburetor at a 45-degree angle, that has a plug in it. Kind of like a dead-end hose and am wondering whether this was supposed to connect thru the PCV solenoid. I am attaching... your picture, Ken... sorry. It just really shows the back part I'm referring to. Presently the dead-end hose is connected where the #2 is. There is no hose off of #1 and it appears to be the right size to receive the hose from the PCV valve, but again there is no solenoid in the middle anywhere. The perpendicular one in between #1 and #2 is connected to the choke vacuum diaphram (is that right??).

Finally #3 is just below the small outlet that is what I think your referring to as being the proper place to receive a hose coming off of the sol-vac.

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I definitely want to do this right. And we would like to have the engine and all peripherals as original as possible, but yes we still want it to run well.

P.S.
throttle-body-install-1.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
caryfh
1983 CJ7 

Sorry, so it appears from the PCV diagram that the hose would ultimately connect to #1, but I cannot figure out what the hose is that diverts off of this. In the diagram it shows a T-intersection for a hose that goes off to something else, and then the hose that continues on thru the PCV solenoid and onto the PCV valve.
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

That hose on mine went to the charcoal canister. May this will help. It goes to PCV.
charcoal-canister-1.jpg  
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I think we are missing the PCV solenoid, as the hose coming off of the PCV valve doesn't have another appartus in its line
You might start checking the usual sources for auto parts to see if you can get a new one. I do not know how difficult it is to find this.

For now I would just run it without the solenoid.

You might also put in a new PCV valve you're ordering parts. These are very low cost.

Quote:
I'm also wondering what part of the carburetor this is attaching to.
The PCV should attach to the #1 nipple in the photo. That is the manifold vaccum.

Quote:
I have a small hose that comes off the back of the carburetor at a 45-degree angle, that has a plug in it.
At the auto parts store you can get a box of different-sized rubber caps for capping off unused vacuum nipples. These will give you the best chance at correctly capping those off. Better than a hose with a screw or plug in it. Plus if you have an assortment then you ideally use one that fits tightly. The bottom line is that all unused nipples on the carb should be capped off. If later you realize you need to connect a hose to a nipple, just uncap it and put your cap back in the box with the others.
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Sorry, so it appears from the PCV diagram that the hose would ultimately connect to #1, but I cannot figure out what the hose is that diverts off of this. In the diagram it shows a T-intersection for a hose that goes off to something else, and then the hose that continues on thru the PCV solenoid and onto the PCV valve.
The "T" should join vaccum lines coming from 3 places:
  • Charcoal / vapor cannister
  • Large nipple on the back of the BBD
  • PCV valve on the top of the valve cover (or the solenoid if you have that)

If your "T" is gone/missing, you can get an assortment of these at the auto parts store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.