Carter Carb 7109S single barrel problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter Carb 7109S single barrel problems

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
atnas

Carter Carb 7109S single barrel problems

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a '77 CJ7 258 inline six. It is running rough at idle and is dying when brakes are applied, stop signs, lights etc. At high rpms it runs fine. I cannot find anything on fixing the Carter Carb. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

atnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
EgulAye
||||

1980 CJ5 

Do you have vacuum assist brakes? If so, there could be a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

It might be time for a carb rebuild and a new fuel filter. It's really a pretty simple process. Having plenty of carb cleaning solution and compressed air help a lot. And a clean work space too.

There isn't as much info on the 1 bbl carb available, but most of the principles are the same as the BBD, for which there are lots of threads and troubleshooting write-ups for.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

Cap rotor plugs?
Grumpy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
EgulAye
||||

1980 CJ5 

Grumpy has a good point, what leads you to suspect the carb?

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
atnas

Mostly a search on the web with all the conditions led me to a site suggesting it may be the Venturi bubbling out gas and being clogged. I was all set to take my carb apart to fix it when I discovered that I had a single barrel Carter carb. I have very little experience with engines and it is trial and error for me and begging for help on this forum, which everyone has been very helpful and I am very grateful.

I will check the rotor cap for cracks, I guess? And will look at all my plugs and wires.

How do you check if it is a vacuum leak?

I did get a manual for my carb today and will print it out so I can read it easier.

Thank you all very much.

Mark
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
atnas

MC 2100 Swap?

Hello ladies and gents,

Still have not got this problem licked. I have been doing some research and I am leaning towards doing a carb swap. Anybody have any sage advice on popping a MC 2100 2 barrel on?

Thank you.

Mark
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Only if you can hunt down a 2 bbl Manifold.

It will be ugly on a 1 bbl manifold.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
EgulAye
||||

1980 CJ5 

I'm about to start a rebuild on my Carter 1bbl "summer" carburetor. I'll let you know how it goes.

(I bought my Jeep this spring and it came with a spare carb. The PO said that it came with the Jeep when he had bought it and the PO had told him it was tuned for winter. He never swapped them, just kept it as spare. That's what I did until the carb quit near the end of summer. I swapped the "winter" carb on and have been using it. Had a rebuild kit laying on the bench for the other carburetor for a while. I might get to it as soon as this weekend.)

I don't know your experience or technical ability, but rebuilding a carburetor is easily achievable for the novice, assuming you have a few key items in place.
1. Clean workbench area with good lighting. I mean CLEAN. Sweep off your workbench area completely so you have uncluttered open space. Dust it. Lay down new shop towels over the whole area.
2. Have plenty of carburetor cleaner. I've only used spray cans, but I hear people have bought a gallon of cleaner to soak parts in. Both work.
3. Use compressed air to blow out all passages after soaking. Little cans of compressed air for dusting computers is not enough. If you don't have a compressor, buy a 2 gallon tank you can fill with a tire pump, something. You will not get good results otherwise.
4. Follow the directions and replace all the replaceable parts.

That's my 2₵ worth... Good luck!
(btw, a rebuild kit, some cleaner, and towels are a lot cheaper than swapping to a different carburetor)

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

I found a two barrel manifold for 25.00. Cost me a two hour round trip drive. He was asking 50.00 for the set (intake and exhaust). Exhaust manifold had cracks all over it, talked him into giving it to me. You'll have to change your exhaust as well being the single draft carter manifolds are mated for heat exchange. The intake I bought was aluminum and not cast. Was looking for cast, but for the price I was happy.
Grumpy_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.