Carter BBD & Start/Carge electrical (double check please) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter BBD & Start/Carge electrical (double check please)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Carter BBD & Start/Carge electrical (double check please)

Ok first I'd like to say thanks for all the help I've gotten from this site. And please Keep in mind that I've built this from almost nothing with out any real help in person.

First are the Carb pix I know that the choke needs to connect to SOMETING, I just dont know what or how.

I labeled stuff as close to I could based on how it looked in the chilton.

Now the Starting/charging. It is hard to find any thing on line because every body seems to cobel together their own way.

Oh does any one know the thread pitch/size of the nuts for the posts on the solenoid?

Thanks much

spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do you have a 1/4 inch tab on choke? I.E. Do you have a electric choke? I kind of remember mine having that and I have a electric choke and it does nothing.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

No '79 isn't electric. I had a carb from an '80s? that had electric choke and the threaded part on this one was closed off on that one. and the electric one had pigtails coming from the back. All I can thin is it is Vac from some where and I need a threaded fitting?

Thanks though.

How does the electric look?
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Just like yours. With a brass tab at the top for 12v power fed through the oil pressure switch.

The non electric like your set up may have exhaust piped to it to warm up the spring under the black cover. That was a type of choke control back in the day.......
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Cool. all my carb tags look right?
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

They look right to me. But you need to spin your fuel filter so the vent tube is on top at 12 o'clock. Other then that it looks good.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

One other question the wire by the alternator, where does that conect? I'm thinking it connects on the alternator.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

In the pic, you can see that the choke connects into the exhaust manifold for heat to operate the choke.

Your second pic, the pcv is on the correct position.

Third pic of yours, the top vent goes to the charcoal cannister for venting the fumes from the carburetor.

On the solenoid on the firewall, those connect to the ignition switch and power the starter/ignition circuit.

More carb pics of mine. Sorry about the dirtyness of the engine and the incorrect fuel filter.

Pic of the back of the alternator.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodg73 View Post

In the pic, you can see that the choke connects into the exhaust manifold for heat to operate the choke.

Your second pic, the pcv is on the correct position.

Third pic of yours, the top vent goes to the charcoal cannister for venting the fumes from the carburetor.

On the solenoid on the firewall, those connect to the ignition switch and power the starter/ignition circuit.

More carb pics of mine. Sorry about the dirtyness of the engine and the incorrect fuel filter.

Pic of the back of the alternator.
Very very help full. Any more pix of the alternator?
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

I have only 3 wires on the alternator, and you can see them in this pic.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Where on the exhaust manifold does the choke terminate? what kind of fitting is it?
Thanks
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

It is a zee shape and it goes into a hole in the top of the OEM exhaust manifold. I will see if I can get a better picture soon.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodg73 View Post
It is a zee shape and it goes into a hole in the top of the OEM exhaust manifold. I will see if I can get a better picture soon.
Thank you so much. It looks like that wire doesn't go to the Alternator. Nay idea what it goes to?
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

Not sure where the wire goes. Where does it start from?

In this pic, you can see where the choke heater tube goes.
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
Thank you so much. It looks like that wire doesn't go to the Alternator. Nay idea what it goes to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
One other question the wire by the alternator, where does that conect? I'm thinking it connects on the alternator.
Air conditioner compressor if you have one.

Seriously, they put it in all the harnesses even if you don't have AC
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.