Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Carter BBD Rebuild Kit - BEST ONE ???

9K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  80cj 
#1 ·
I need to rebuild my Cater BBD on the '85. Which rebuild kit is highly recommended.
I need one that is complete; not sure what that involves but I have seen several and the package parts vary.
Is there a recommended BRAND? How much time will it take and what can I expect? What area should I really focus on?

#4 ·
I just rebuilt mine. Some things to consider and watch for:

If you have the time, check to make sure your float does indeed float. Try submerging it a cup of gas if you can, or letting it sit and "float".

Make sure that you set or at least check to make sure the float level is correct when full. Should be a 1/4" gap from the top.

Finally make sure you set the vaccum piston, accelerator pump linkage per the specifications. This I think is a step that might be looked over by most. But I know that I reset mine and it has made a huge difference in throttle response. No more bogging down when you hammer the gas. Finally works how it was designed to work.

I found this, along with the FSM for my jeep to be a huge help:

http://c803310.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/bbd_carburetor_manual.pdf

Follow the servicing steps when setting everything back up. Also, it's an easy read through, and really takes no time. I think if more people had this and gave it a read, it would maybe bring in a little more love for our Carter BBDs. I know they are not the greatest of all carbs, but they can be good with a little love and attention!

Good luck!

JD

#10 ·
Thanks guys, ORDERED! - Napa # 25671C ("CBC")

I am going to rebuild my back-up right now and swap carbs on the Jeep, then rebuild the one pulled. I have the aluminum tag on the installed one (8384) but no tag on the removed one. Napa said the rebuild kit should work on both. Is there a number on the body I can use? Anyway, it has the RED/BLACK accelerator pump. $29.00 and ORDERED!

So, it is understood that boring out the Venturi tubes does not affect the fuel mixture?
If it doesn't, I will leave it the way it is and simply rebuild the carb.
If it DOES, can I swap Venturi assemblies from one carb to the other.

My thoughts are to get it rebuilt and have the final test done if this is the problem.

#11 ·
Many suggest drilling out the tubes. I prefer to clean them carefully with piano wire. The new generation carb soaks are safer but not as powerful as the old ones. Soak and clean, blow out the openings.

Be sure you don't have excessive wear at the throttle. Open the throttle about 1/2 way and see if you have play between the throttle shaft and housing. This can oval out over time and will create a vacuum leak. Some bore these and use a bushing. I look for a different donor.

Many bash the BBD. With some care and cleaning mine has been running great since 1979. Always starts, never failed me. I am probably the only one on this forum who has had better luck with the OEM Carter BBD carb than TBI.

I have a few extra BBDs if you need parts.

#13 ·
Many suggest drilling out the tubes. I prefer to clean them carefully with piano wire. The new generation carb soaks are safer but not as powerful as the old ones. Soak and clean, blow out the openings.

Be sure you don't have excessive wear at the throttle. Open the throttle about 1/2 way and see if you have play between the throttle shaft and housing. This can oval out over time and will create a vacuum leak. Some bore these and use a bushing. I look for a different donor.

Many bash the BBD. With some care and cleaning mine has been running great since 1979. Always starts, never failed me. I am probably the only one on this forum who has had better luck with the OEM Carter BBD carb than TBI.

I have a few extra BBDs if you need parts.
Thanks JeepdaddyRC;,

The throttle on the removed carburetor seems tighter than the installed but its not bad; very slight. It is however corroded and dirty from sitting in a box for a long time.
It also lacks a good sol-vac so I may need to swap that over when I rebuild the installed carb.

The kit I got has the red w/ BLACK rubber accelerator pump. I will swap out the bored tubes back to stock for this and switch back and forth to see it was that the tech was referring to.
He mentioned something about excessive fuel and a large jet or something of that nature at bottom. I assumed he meant the Venturi tubes since I have never really looked into one of these carbs in detail.
I honestly believe the carb is dirty because I have recently did some fuel cleaner washes (additives). It started acting up after that. So, maybe the fuel additive compromised the rubber parts and that gas treatment, it caused them to become weaker. I don't know.

I agree with the Carter, when I had it professionally done by this Italian guru, it was amazing. It felt like the car was not even on. In fact, when I picked it up, he had it running and when I went to take off, I turned the key and the starter did its grind.
I told him, wow, I thought it was off. Anyway, other mechanics, techs or what ever, have tampered with it to get it right to their personal knowledge. My guess is they are not too familiar with all the little details of these carbs. I got tired of having to pay someone to have the car always compromised in some way or another so I got more involved and its become an on-going passion. This should be a fun project.

When you soak the carb in cleaner, is there anything that should be removed? ... or just dunk the entire assembly in the fluid?

#16 ·
Oh, sorry to be long winded, but take extra special care of the metering rods. Make sure you have spring pressure on them and be gentle when trying to get them to go back down into the jets at the bottom of the carb. You will see what I mean when you get there. That whole assembly (vacuum diaphragm) should move smoothly up and down, the spring causing it to move back up on its own. This is a vital part to having a smoother running carb at all speeds.

#17 ·
Muffin tin for small parts. Good light. Clean work area. Patience. Take lots of pictures. Go slow. Follow every direction. After my first BBD rebuild I felt good... until I noticed the float retaining clip laying on the table next to my rebuilt carb! Opps!

Don't lose any parts and put them all back.

#18 ·
Muffin tin for small parts. Good light. Clean work area. Patience. Take lots of pictures. Go slow. Follow every direction. After my first BBD rebuild I felt good... until I noticed the float retaining clip laying on the table!

Don't lose any parts and put them all back.
:rofl: . . . :brickwall

I was breaking down the spare carb while I wait for the ordered kit; to get a better idea and keeping the bolts/screws loose so it comes apart easy.
I almost lost a small clip when it popped off and flew off. I knew putting dark carpet would come to haunt me someday. Took about 25 minutes to locate it. >:)

Yes, I'd say I'm going to need several shots of "PATIENCE"!

#19 ·
Yeah I had a similar issue. Had the dust cover on loosely the first time I re-mounted it. Had to pull it back off to install the needle correctly. Bumped into something on the way out. Three dust cover screws in three different directions. Luckily I found them all. I should say miraculously. Wound up replacing them anyway. They were too short and wouldn't catch the threads with the gasket on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.