Carter BBD rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter BBD rebuild

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #46
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Yesterday the jeep ran really good,but it was warm out, so I was anxious to see how well it did on the cold start. Went out this morning and couldn't get it to start. Finally started but this wasn't the results I was hoping for.
I pumped the accelerator pedal twice then cranked the motor. No joy. Tried cranking again without touching the gas, no joy. Messed around with it for awhile (5mins or so). Cranked it again after pumping the gas a couple more times and finally got it started.
I think I'm going to have the kid try it tomorrow while I'm looking in the carb. See if the accelerator pump gives two good squirts after sitting over night.

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #47
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Ck your choke setting. You have either to much, or to little.
LG
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #48
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Go to my YouTube channel "EugeneKingify"
And watch one or both of my proper choke operation videos before you look at yours.

The plate should close with tension on it when you tap the throttle. As soon as it tries to start the choke pull back diaphragm should open the choke .095 or so inches. Then open slowly over time.

When I start Grammys CJ after sitting for a couple of weeks all I do is lightly tap the throttle to set the choke. Then hit the starter and crank it to get some oil pressure. By the time I get oil pressure or just before it builds it starts in its own with zero throttle pumping.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #49
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
When I start Grammys CJ after sitting for a couple of weeks all I do is lightly tap the throttle to set the choke. Then hit the starter and crank it to get some oil pressure. By the time I get oil pressure or just before it builds it starts in its own with zero throttle pumping.
This was the result I was hoping for after the rebuild. I know my choke plate initial setting is correct. But I think the choke pull off is jacked. I have a new pull off coming but the rod isn't adjustable either and doesn't come with the new pull off.
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #50
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You adjust the rod by bending it.
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #51
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
You adjust the rod by bending it.
It's a straight rod. I have a pic of it in an earlier post. Can't post it from this device.
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #52
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The rod on the throttle cable side serves no purpose in the choke operation other than ensuring the fast idle cam follows the chokes current position.

The diaphragm thing in the e-choke side of the carb is the choke pull back.

Watch my video
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #53
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

It's easy to reinstall the pull off on wrong. Not that I've ever done that.

If working correctly, bumping the throttle once should be enough to allow the choke to pull close. Adjust the choke till this happens.

Also, my fast idle screw has been known to vibrate out of adjustment from time to time. Check that as well.
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #54
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You open or close the 90 degree bend part to tweek the pull off amount.

Bend it square so it doesn't bind in the slot on the shaft.
image-573258626.jpg

Unread 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #55
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you are referring to the strait rod between the electric choke arm and the choke plate shaft there isn't a adjustment.

To adjust the tension on the choke plate you loosen the three screws around the plastic housing and rotate the housing.
image-2575289987.jpg

Unread 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #56
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With the engine cold you tap throttle and allow choke to close.

Then get a piece of tubing and put it on the choke pull off diaphragm and suck it open and measure the airgap.

I used a drill bit to measure it.
Unread 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #57
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
With the engine cold you tap throttle and allow choke to close. Then get a piece of tubing and put it on the choke pull off diaphragm and suck it open and measure the airgap. I used a drill bit to measure it.
Yes the choke plate is adjusted correctly....IIRC 3/32"
I was not able to adjust the choke pull off (the golden vacuum diaphragm) because the arm doesn't have an adjustment ( u-shaped loop) on it. It's a strait rod. The e-choke heater spring is set to the correct position (2 notches Rich) per the rebuild instructions.
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #58
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto450r
Yes the choke plate is adjusted correctly....IIRC 3/32" I was not able to adjust the choke pull off (the golden vacuum diaphragm) because the arm doesn't have an adjustment ( u-shaped loop) on it. It's a strait rod. The e-choke heater spring is set to the correct position (2 notches Rich) per the rebuild instructions.
When you set the choke the plate is all the way closed correct? Or is it the 3/32 you are talking about?

The choke plate is to be shut all the way. Not having a 3/32 gap if that's what you did.

The 3/32 gap is set by sucking on the vacuum dash pot mounted beside the electric choke housing. When vacuum pulls it back that "L" shaped arm on it pulls open the choke plate slightly.

Your picture I reposted shows clearly the "L" shaped arm on the pull off assembly. You open or close that "L" To achieve the proper gap.
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #59
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
When you set the choke the plate is all the way closed correct? Or is it the 3/32 you are talking about? The choke plate is to be shut all the way. Not having a 3/32 gap if that's what you did. The 3/32 gap is set by sucking on the vacuum dash pot mounted beside the electric choke housing. When vacuum pulls it back that "L" shaped arm on it pulls open the choke plate slightly. Your picture I reposted shows clearly the "L" shaped arm on the pull off assembly. You open or close that "L" To achieve the proper gap.
I appreciate all the help. Please bare with me for the next couple days as I'm working. I can't post all the pics and stuff when I'm not at home. I don't have the FSM or rebuild instructions with me at work and the CRS doesn't help either.

It makes sense that I can bend the "L", it's just all the pics I've seen show a "u-shaped" rod. BTW the instructions show that this measurement should be 9/64". I think I can get enough throw from the "L" to achieve 9/64".

The 3/32" choke plate measurement comes from bending the rod on the fast idle cam. You set this first so when you step on the gas, before starting, the fast idle cam will not let the choke plate close all the way. Then when you have vacuum, after the engine is running, the choke pull off opens the choke plate to 9/64". I believe that's how it works.

Unread 02-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #60
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

As long as you tap the gas with a cold engine and the plate closed all the way.

And you suck on the choke pull back dash pot and the plate opens .095 inches under vacuum.

And with the choke all the way closed flooring the throttle opens the choke plate some.........

You will be good to go as a starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.