Carter BBD Question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter BBD Question!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 10-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
CJ7Danny

Carter BBD Question!

Ok folks.... other than throwing this thing in the trash for a fix, I need some input!

Just rebuilt this thing and it runs worse than before! It idles fine but when I attempt to give it more than a quarter throttle under load, it falls on it's face.

What the hell? Anyone have any suggestions?

T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
55-willys

not sure if your carter is like the edelbrock, but id say that your fuel level is to low. a edelbrock will do that, and it doesnt take much to cause it. maybe only a 1/16 or so on the float adjustment, so try raising your float level a little at a time. you my have to do this a couple of times to get it right.
Unread 10-29-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
CJ7Danny

thanks for the suggestion Paul. I had a feeling it was a float level issue. It's really the only thing that I adjusted during the rebuild. Of course, I adjusted to the OEM specs. Apparently, that isn't what I need!

I really just need to get this thing running well enough to get it a friends house so I can swap it out for a MC 2100 carb.
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2002, 01:00 AM   #4
johny1i

When you take the lid off the top (it's held on by 3 flat-blade screws) there are two arms inside that pivot around an axis and they have screw adjusters on them to dictate when the accelerator pump engages. It is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL that those are adjusted properly or you will have a terrible flat spot, as you noted. It took me many trial runs down the road with that little lid off and making periodic adjustments to get it just right. I mentioned this in your other thread, but you really need a manual, like Chilton's, to be able to adjust it properly because it shows some pictures. They're only about $13, but well worth that if you do your own work.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

When you are done with that carb, I could use one for spare parts. I'll send you money for the freight.
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 05:42 PM   #6
1986CJ7Andy

Carter BBD

I dont know what vehicle you have but I had a Carter carb and well didnt have much luck. Depending on what you wanna deal with. I actually had given up and replaced it with a Autozone or Advance carb, dumb idea. made things worse...

Well anyway I went out anf bought a weber carb from 4wd.com, I tell you what it made a huge difference!!! The big thing is that it eliminates the emissions so if your state requires it sorry but you might be out of luck. If you can try it, I actually use less gas and better performance.
1986CJ7Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.