Carter BBD Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter BBD Help

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Carter BBD Help

Ok just installed a remaned carter BBD in my project 79 cj5 amc 258.
I can not get it to start or run unless I hold the choke open. Also I get a bogging and back firing under fast exceleration*. I took some pics and labeled where I have all of the vacuum lines running. Please any help would be great.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
doeboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

I have to ask. Why did you go with the Carter? The tubes are probably clogged. I went with the MC2100 and never looked back.

By the way. Nice looking job on the install!

http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=16&noAdd=1
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotZ View Post
I have to ask. Why did you go with the Carter? The tubes are probably clogged.
Why carter? Price mostly. What tubes could be clogged everything is brand new and carb was just rebuilt and cleaned?

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy99 View Post
Why carter? Price mostly. What tubes could be clogged everything is brand new and carb was just rebuilt and cleaned?

No worries. I kept mine going for years before I changed. This might help.

I was talking about the idler tubes in the venturie(sp?)

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main...r_carb_fix.htm
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

If I recall I had to drill the tubes out to .032 or something close to that. It worked like a champ after that
- Aldous Huxley
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the help I am going to take a look at those tubes but that link said it solves hard idling. Mine idles fine it just back fires and boogs when i get on the gas real hard.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Are you sure its not a timing issue?
- Aldous Huxley
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Pretty sure 8° BTDC if I remember corectly.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

anyone else have any ideas?

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

First of all you should put a plug over that nothing nipple. It should be ported vacuum and will suck more air as you accelerate. Secondly I would richen your choke several notches and try pulling the spring that you attached to it. Does the engine accelerate okay after it warms up to normal operating temp?
Unread 10-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Yea I already pluged the one nipple. Seeing as how I am not familer with carbs what so ever how would I richen the choke? And no it still runs like crap even after warmed up. I got on it pretty hard with the throttle arm and it backfired so bad it shot my air filter off.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Your plumbing is pretty messed up from what I can see. This can cause your issues.

Let's start off with photo 1.

The two top vents must be open and put togeter in a T fitting like it was, you cannot have the float bowl vent blocked or it will bog. This line then goes to the charcoal canister on the 'carb' nipple or the one closest to the engine or farthest from the valve on the canister's top. The next line on the canister goes to the gas tank vent.

Then get rid of that spring on the choke and see below.

Next the gas filter is in upside down. The center line goes the the carb and the top line goes to the return line. Yours has the return lower which allows gas to siphon back to the tank when it sits.

Then below the spring, on the valve cover side of the carb is a vacuum nipple. This one goes to the distributor. The one you have marked to the distributor now gets capped, it used to run the stock air filter TAC system.

Now photo 2:

The line running to the canister on the bottom corner is right and should go through a CTO valve so the canister only turns on when the engine warms up.

Cap that distributor line nipple on the back corner and cap that open one up top.

Photo 3:

The line to the PCV valve needs a T fitting. From this T fitting, the other line runs to the canister purge or the line right under the round valve thing that gets the little vacuum line.

Photo 4:

OK I see the heat tube for the choke there so that is at least hooked up. The adjustment notch on the choke cover is int he wrong place, it should be two notches on the other side of 0. I think you need to open this black cover and make sure the choke linkage grabbed the spring inside. It is easy to get it wrong or have it fall off when putting the cover back on.

The choke is supposed to be closed after you give the gas pedal a shot of gas before starting the engine and as the engine warms up it opens. You need to remove the air filter and verify this is happening and get back to us.

Once you have the choke working, you warm up the engine and put the fast idle cam on the second from top step and set the screw so the rpm is 1700-1800 rpm. This sets up the choke's fast idle for start up.

To start this engine, you must pump the gas at least once, usually twice before turning the key. This primes the carb and sets the choke on. In real cold weather, more pumps are needed.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Mike Ill work on all of that and get back to you.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Ok mike I made all the adjustments with all of the t's that were needed now I am running really rich with a backfire when I shut the motor down. What now?

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy99 View Post
Ok mike I made all the adjustments with all of the t's that were needed now I am running really rich with a backfire when I shut the motor down. What now?
Now you need to set the best lean idle mix up.

To do this, you screw the two bottom front screw and spring sets in all the way counting the turns usually to see what it was at. Then you back them out 5 turns each and get it running.

You will want to keep the idle below 700, preferably 650 so you may have to adjust the idle speed screw while you do the next part a couple times.

You turn the mix screws in 1/4 turn each and give it a rev of gas, then another 1/4 turn each and another rev and continue until one of the turns starts the engine rumbling. It will be obvious. When this happens, you back the screws out 1/4 turn to have your best lean idle mix. When I set them for the sniffer, I only back off 1/8 turn and leave a slight rumble. It seems to like it there.

Then you may want to check the timing and make sure it's about 8 deg or until it is the smoothest at idle before setting the mix. You do this with the distributor line off and plugged.

Sometimes if I change the timing I then screw the idle mix screws in again, just to be sure it hasn't changed when I changed the timing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.