Carter BBD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carter BBD

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 04-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
OKJeepin

Carter BBD

I just put in an 83 258 in my Jeep, and have had no dealings with the infamous BBD till now.
It won't idle, unless I choke it almost closed, then it purrs like a kitten.
Engine was at normal operating temp, I byapassed the stepper motor (cut off the needles where they taper down), as I have no 'puter in my 1974, and there appears to be no vacuum leaks.
Any ideas?

Jeff

Unread 04-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin
I just put in an 83 258 in my Jeep, and have had no dealings with the infamous BBD till now.
It won't idle, unless I choke it almost closed, then it purrs like a kitten.
Engine was at normal operating temp, I byapassed the stepper motor (cut off the needles where they taper down), as I have no 'puter in my 1974, and there appears to be no vacuum leaks.
Any ideas?

Jeff
You may have seen this before, and since it runs with the choke closed, I don't know if it will help, but check this out:

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
OKJeepin

Good article, I'll check it tomorrow and see if thats the problem. Thanks
Jeff
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Orange Juice

Having to run with the choke nearly closed is a sign of fuel starvation. This typically happens because of a couple of factors. First, your idle mixture is either too rich or too lean. Secondly, your idle circuit of the carb is varnished causing a restriction in fuel flow thru the idle circuit. The idle circuit is basically the only part of the carb that continues to flow fuel no matter what the rpm range is. In other words, the idle circuit operates any time the engine is running. Because of this, it will affect the engine no matter what rpm you are running. You have to get the idle straightened out on a carb before you can even start tuning anything else.

Last edited by Orange Juice; 04-14-2004 at 09:08 PM..
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
OKJeepin

"jeepsarecool" you hit it on the head, I pulled the carb apart, pulled out the venturi section, one of the tubes going down into the bottom of the carb was plugged up solid, cleaned it out and presto, smooth idle!

Thanks again
Jeff

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.