Which is the carrier culprit ?? AMC 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which is the carrier culprit ?? AMC 20

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Which is the carrier culprit ?? AMC 20

I have a bit of slop in my spider gears. What is the most common places for wear, Carrier pin, carrier pin holes on carrier or roll pin. My big concern is the carrier holes are the culprit but shouldn't there be a little bit of play in there to slip the pin in ?? Otherwise the spider gears look clean, so does the ring and pinion

stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The pin should be a slip fit with no movement in the carrier. Movement can cause the retaining pin to shear, allowing the shaft to slide out. If the slop is bad enough, it can also crack the carrier. A slight movement can be monitored, but if you have definite clearance between the pin and carrier, then the carrier should be replaced.
"Slop" in the spider gears is common and will not hurt anything as long as there is no damage to the teeth and the thrust washers are serviceable.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna see if that roll pin is worn, looks fairly easy to punch through.
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincnt View Post
Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna see if that roll pin is worn, looks fairly easy to punch through.
I highly doubt the retaining roll pin would cause what you are seeing. I'd bet it's the cross shaft itself. I had one worn so badly where the spiders rode that I couldn't get my Aussie locker set up within spec. Hopefully you have 2.73 or 3.31 gears so you can remove the shaft without having to pull the carrier out and remove the ring gear to inspect it (Not sure if the shaft will clear 3.55 or 3.73 gears).
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I highly doubt the retaining roll pin would cause what you are seeing. I'd bet it's the cross shaft itself. I had one worn so badly where the spiders rode that I couldn't get my Aussie locker set up within spec. Hopefully you have 2.73 or 3.31 gears so you can remove the shaft without having to pull the carrier out and remove the ring gear to inspect it (Not sure if the shaft will clear 3.55 or 3.73 gears).
I have 3.55's and it looks like that shaft will slip through the carrier no problem, I am able to get to the roll pin from the left of the carrier(punch it through)
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincnt View Post
I have 3.55's and it looks like that shaft will slip through the carrier no problem, I am able to get to the roll pin from the left of the carrier(punch it through)

Should be able to inspect it without issue then. The wear will be pretty apparent if it's there.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
The pin should be a slip fit with no movement in the carrier.
The word "pin" should be "shaft" instead.
Quote:
but if you have definite clearance between the pin and carrier, then the carrier should be replaced
Same thing here.
Good catch guys.....
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Worn carrier shaft and bent roll pin

[QUOTE=jeepdaddy2000;17680441]The word "pin" should be "shaft" instead.

I suppose this is what a well worn carrier shaft looks like and bent roll pin
cam01226-1.jpg  
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Yup.
Funny, I just replied to that thread.....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.