carpet or no? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > carpet or no?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

iv'e got one that has "0" rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
If a jeep ever had carpet, it had its floor boards replaced
after seeing the pic's on this forum i realize this isnt the norm. the jeep spent16 years in mammoth lakes ca, daily driver in 4wd mode with huge winters. they only use volcanic cinders on the roads and im serious about no rust. it was allways parked in the elements so it did not thaw in a garage each day, just stayed frozen for 5 months each year.

thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I have always had carpet. Everything rusted before the floors. If it gets wet, pull the carpet out, quick shampoo, pull the floor plugs and hose away. It's called maintainence.
Ya gotta brush and water your dog and clean your gun after hunting, no?
EDIT:
Plus w/carpet, the accoustics are much better when you're blasting ABBA!
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

ABBA? I choose to jam Slim Whitman or Boxcar Willie...... LOL
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
So I guess my 85 CJ7 isn't really a Jeep because I have carpet in it and can't hose it out?
I meant no offence project23. I see the Jeep as a utility vehicle and part of that is easy cleanup such as taking a hose and washing out the inside after a day in the mud, etc.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog304

I meant no offence project23. I see the Jeep as a utility vehicle and part of that is easy cleanup such as taking a hose and washing out the inside after a day in the mud, etc.
No offense taken and I was really only kidding. I know some use their rigs as utility vehicles and some of us use them as Sunday drivers. It's all a personal preference and it boils down to what each of us wants to do with our rigs.
Now, if you were paying my car note and had your name on the loan, it would be different.
Anyways, I like the feel, look and sound dampening that carpet provides. Plus I had an issue with passengers slipping on the bed liner.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
markso125
1982 CJ7 

My jeep just has the bedliner on the floors no carpet and I am putting carpet back in it.
First of all one of the advantages to owning a jeep is the fact girls like to ride in it in the summer when the hard top is off. But floor boards get hot without carpet, really hot if you are only wearing flip flops or sandals, and the coors lite resonation effect gets a little (ok alot) tinny after awhile.
So knowing that said advantage to owning a CJ is just nullified after a drive or two in the summer as girls migrate to other Jeeps or dare I say it Wranglers that maintain the niceties of carpet, and radios that they can hear because the carpet nullifies the tin can effect and just makes it a more comfortable ride over all.

Its funny people complain about having to maintain carpet but some of those same people are more then willing to spend extra time doing things like polishing wheels ect ect ect. As with all other components of your jeep if you maintain it properly your carpet and floor boards wont rust out, the ones that usually do are the people that once they get their carpet wet never bother to pull it out and dry it they just let it rust out the floors.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

During my rebuild I just took everything out and lined the whole bottom tub, put in two new seats and a nice strapless bikini top. My thought is its a jeep if I want to be closed in and quiet I will drive my car.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosheep
During my rebuild I just took everything out and lined the whole bottom tub, put in two new seats and a nice strapless bikini top. My thought is its a jeep if I want to be closed in and quiet I will drive my car.
That's the glory of freedom of choice. It's your vehicle, so do what you want.
Personally my tootsies like the feel of carpet and somewhat cool floor when cruising around......
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

For what it's worth, you can buy pre-molded carpet sets that have a rubber backing material.

The rubber prevents minor drips, spills, or wet shoes from soaking thru to the tub.

Obviously, if your topless CJ gets rained on, the rubber backing won't help. In those cases, it has to be removed and dried.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
That's the glory of freedom of choice. It's your vehicle, so do what you want.
Personally my tootsies like the feel of carpet and somewhat cool floor when cruising around......
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Only took me one weekend to raptor line it. I was pleased with the overall texture. Kit was only $100 i was able to do 3 coats. Its really durable.
image-3677345743.jpg   image-2633685044.jpg  
ROB03HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
mwalker649
1985 CJ7 

What about rubber mats does anyone make a complete set of rubber, front and back for the whole jeep?
mwalker649 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
TDiddy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker649 View Post
What about rubber mats does anyone make a complete set of rubber, front and back for the whole jeep?
here's where I got mine...

scroll down to the jeeps and choose your model:

http://www.auto-interior.com/carpetindex.htm#Acura
TDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
MontaukMan
1977 CJ5 

You can also try stock interiors.com. They have the molded carpets with the rubber backing. This is what I use in my rhino lined interior and works great. Like mentioned above, if some minor water gets in, it won't reach the floor because of the thck rubber backing.
MontaukMan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #30
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

As markso125 alluded to, CJ are chick magnets. Now some women complain about "rug burn" on their knees or spine after an amorous rendezvous. I wonder how many of you no carpet guys manage to get your chippies to handle "Rhino Burn" when you have the back seat out .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.