Carburetors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetors

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
climberman
1979 CJ5 

Carburetors

The jeep has been running good but still a little rich. I think another good thing to do would be buy a new carburetor. The one we have the joke doesn't work anyway and that makes it hard to start in the winter.

It would be great to get some ideas from you guys and find out what everyone is running for carbs. We have the 258 two barrel.

Not just what kind of carb you have but the model of carb so I can search it out for cost and where to buy

Does anyone have a carb with an electric joke.

Thanks.

climberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

How can we help find a match if you don't fill out you Jeep's profile? We don't know how your CJ is equipped.

All we know is a 258 and with your post, some sort of 2 barrel carburetor. Many here are extremely knowledgeable, but not telepathic.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
climberman
1979 CJ5 

It is a 1979 CJ5 258 two barrel. I know what I have I would like to know what others have done and prefer for a carb. Read my post again
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

An electric joke:

Q. What kind of car does an electrician drive?
A: A Volts-wagon.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Windyknot is right, tell us a bit more about your CJ, particularly mods, equipment and what you do with it. Best place to do this is in your Profile. Then we can give specific comments, still wrong but specifically wrong.

I have had the Carter BBD, Weber 40DCNF and Weber 38DGMS on CJs and each one has its place and uses.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

same as you

my jeep also has a 258 2 barrell. i love the carb works great after i rebuilt it. id advise staying with a 2 barrell on the 258. replace it with the same 2 barrell that im running and you cant go wrong! your post is pretty vague, these guys can give you the perfect fit/match if given the info. otherwies it would be hard not to realize the MC2100 and the webers are the retrofits of choice.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

you need to rebuild the carb you have. buying another carb might help for a while then when it messes up youll be back buying another, and another and another. rebuilding these carbs is really simple and something you should learn to do. it always amazes me to see a guy paying almost $200.00 for a rebuilt carb form checker and it could of been rebuilt with a $30.00 kit. for the first timer all you need to do is follow the instructions. my 2 cents.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
climberman
1979 CJ5 

I don't know what else to tell you we drive it on the road mostly not to much off. We put an Hei distributor on it. What else do do you need to know. I have rebuilt it and I have rebuilt others and they never seem to work right.

I added somethings to my Profile
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
climberman
1979 CJ5 

I should have did some searching here first because now I found this Post. The guy says very little about his jeep and there is nothing on his profile, yet everyone jumped in and answered his question in full detail. Here is the link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/go...mc2100-171817/
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Okay here's my point: I have basically the same engine you do, but I also have a Clifford Performance intake and headers. I have a Holley 470CFM Truck Avenger 4 barrel carburetor. Putting this in a stock Jeep would cause nothing but trouble.

Do you have all your emissions equipment on board? That makes a difference in choices.

Not trying to jump on you, just trying not to waste your money or make life more frustrating. That's the intent anyway.

Daily Driver? Weekend Warrior? Maybe you DON'T need a new carb. MAYBE all you need is to rebuild it or re-jet it.
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
climberman
1979 CJ5 

It is my son's jeep and he mostly uses it for a daily driver. We took off the computer and the emissions because we don't live in an area that requires it. I want to keep it a 2 barrel.
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I would say the two most-popular carbs are the Weber 38 and the Motorcraft 2100. The Weber 32/36 is popular as well but can be a bear to set up well because it's really too small for a 258. It can be done but it'll be at the ragged edge of what it's capable of.

Hope it helps.

Shawn
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Here's another thought. If it's constantly too rich, maybe it's just a question of jetting "down" your carburetor. When a carburetor is assembled it's usually calibrated for sea level. You're in Utah. What's your elevation?

I own a Holley carb and prettymuch am most comfortable with Holleys. I know that for every 2000 feet in elevation, I need to re-jet DOWN one size. Since I'm at 5000 feet I needed to downsize my jets two sizes before I even put the carburetor on the engine.

This is why so many questions are being asked. I'd recommend trying to figure out exactly what you have and what's been done to it such as, has it been re-jetted?

Buying a new carburetor is not going to be a direct bolt on replacement for all the above reasons. Again, that's why all the questions.

What I'd recommend is trying to find an "old fart" (like us) mechanic who really knows carburetors. Try looking in speed shops or hot rod shops, or maybe an independent that's been around for years. There are of course young guys who DO know what they're doing, but many "kids" these days are only familiar with fuel injection and such. These guys would get lost with an ignition with points!
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

This might help if you still have the factory 2 bbl carb.

http://oljeep.com/gw/76_tsm/Section4.pdf

This is that FSM for 1976. It's not your year but most likely it matches. Jeeps evolved, they really didn't do too many radical changes.

Section 4 is the fuel system. Start at page 20 to find everything about the factory 2 barrel carburetor.
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
climberman
1979 CJ5 

I finally went out and looked at the carb it is the carter 2425 is that worth rebuilding for one thing the joke doesn't work and everyone seems to like the 2100 I have always bought Holleys so I will look into that also.

Windknot which Holley do you have?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.