Carburetor Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetor Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
jackmarc
1984 CJ7 

Carburetor Problems

Hi,
my 1984 cj-7 with the 258 needs a new carb because here in italy where I live I didn't find anyone who as been good to solve the problems it has.
Now, looking at the catalogue on "4wd.com", I was oriented for a Weber carb but I can't understand what are the differences in the carbs that are listed and that fit in my engine tipe and tear. Could someone explain to me it and maybe suggest me what's the best fit?
the options are:
- WEBWK551-36S
- WEBWK551-38
- WEBWK551
- WEBWK551-34

I know that this question is maybe a stupid question for you but here where I live I've not the possibility to talk with someone realy qualyfied and onest too.

Thanks,

Giacomo.

jackmarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

What is your current carb's problem?
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

If you're able to shop here Jeep Page choose either the K551, K551-M or the K551-S all of those are the 32/36DGV in various kits.

If you want peak performance choose the K551-38 This is a winner in my book, that one is a 38 DGES in kit form.

If delivery is an issue then select one of the same from 4WD.

Stay clear of the WEBWK551-36S or the WEBWK551-34 they are Webers in a two cent sticker-ed name only, or is that two 1cent stickers I forget which.

Neither their design nor quality are what you would expect from the original Italian designed Webers that are listed above. With those you have benefit of design and performance as well as expert tech support from Redline Worldpac.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
jackmarc
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
What is your current carb's problem?
hi,
I don't exactly know what's the problem. when I push the gas pedal the engine run whell for the firts 25% of the pedal. if I push more is like the engine stop running maybe because the air still enter in the engine but not the fuel. I tried with tree differents mechanich that worked on it but nobody as been able to solve the problem.
Unread 09-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
jackmarc
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
If you're able to shop here Jeep Page choose either the K551, K551M or the K551S all of those are the 32/36DGV in various kits.

If you want peak performance choose the K552-38 This is a winner in my book, that one is a 38 DGES in kit form.

If delivery is an issue then select one of the same from 4WD.

Stay clear of the WEBWK551-36S or the WEBWK551-34 they are Webers in a two cent sticker-ed name only, or is that two 1cent stickers I forget which.

Neither their design nor quality are what you would expect from the original Italian designed Webers that are listed above. With those you have benefit of design and performance as well as expert tech support from Redline Worldpac.
ok, thanks.
is it possible to explain me what DGES or DGV or DGEV stay for?
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I'll tell you what it means to us, then if you will, please tell us how well what we think fits into the Italian way of things.

The prefix of a Weber series is always the throttle plate size/bore diameter.
If there are two different sized bores then each will be identified. The primary side is always listed first and the secondary is just that, in any manner of description.
So a 32/36 indicates a 32mm primary and the 36mm is the secondary bore.

Here is where there may be some discrepancy
D=Doppio-twin or dual bore, G=Giu or Giusto?-Right hand oriented primary, E=Electric choke and the V= Vuoto or Valvola, some say Verticale then some say it signifies the Vacuum Power Valve???
If that same carb was marketed or altered to a water choke then it would be a 32/36DGAV,the A identifying the Aqua choke. Then if it were a manual choke it would be a 32/36DGMV.
All of those are mechanical progressive linked carbs.

The other series being a 38DGES has 38mm Doppio bores, the linkage is connected to the Giu or right hand side, having an Electtrico choke and both bores open synchronous=Sincrono.
Likewise to that earlier description it is also available in manual or water choke. So while shopping you may prefer the 38DGAS or maybe the 38DGMS, same body and function but different chokes.

I hope this helps...all of us.
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, Dude!

Thats cooler than being able to order at a resturant in Italian!
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
jackmarc
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I'll tell you what it means to us, then if you will, please tell us how well what we think fits into the Italian way of things.

If there are two different sized bores then each will be identified. The primary side is always listed first and the secondary is just that, in any manner of description.

D=Doppio-twin or dual bore, G=Giu or Giusto?-Right hand oriented primary, E=Electric choke and the V= Vuoto or Valvola, some say Verticale then some say it signifies the Vacuum Power Valve???
If that same carb was marketed or altered to a water choke then it would be a 32/36DGAV,the A identifying the Aqua choke. Then if it were a manual choke it would be a 32/36DGMV.

The other series being a 38DGES has 38mm Doppio bores, the linkage is connected to the Giu or right hand side, having an Electtrico choke and both bores open synchronous=Sincrono.
Likewise to that earlier description it is also available in manual or water choke. So while shopping you may prefer the 38DGAS or maybe the 38DGMS, same body and function but different chokes.

It's very embarassing for me to ask you the meaning of an acronym that contains italian words I ignore...
but after your lesson I suppose that you are right, so:

D= Doppio
G= Giusto
E= Elettrico
V= Vuoto
A= Acqua
M= Manuale
S= Sincrono or better Simultaneo

At this point I think I'm oriented to a K551-S, because with this one I can keep my current air filter too. Do you think I'll notice a considerable improvement from the stock carburetor (obviusly when it worked in the right way...)?
Unread 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
uptillnow

Quote:

I also say Damn Dude, I didn't know this.
UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmarc View Post
At this point I think I'm oriented to a K551-S, because with this one I can keep my current air filter too. Do you think I'll notice a considerable improvement from the stock carburetor (obviusly when it worked in the right way...)?
I want to note that you will see us use DGV or DGS as a description. The reason is there is only one size in each, in other words the DGV is only available in the 32/36 bore, same applies to the 38...the only size in the DGS.

If the type choke has no bearing to the subject then we will often use these descriptions in reference to the topic.

Now I feel put on the spot, your question deserves an honest answer.
When and if the entire OEM ignition and fuel delivery systems worked as they were intended, no you would not notice an improvement. IMHO as fine as the Webers are I have never obtained the MPG that I can get with an OEM CJ.

I've often recommended the purchase or use of the DGV. Rebuilt, mounted and tuned them many times for myself and several others use, 17.7 MPG average is tops for myself. About 1 1/2 years ago I removed a DGV restoring a '82 CJ8 4.2 back to original equipment of course including the CarterBBD, it gets a shade over 20mpg, same roads, same conditions. Having another CJ8 an '81, all original equipment it gets over 20 mpg but I haven't driven it off the place since bringing it home.

Just recently I set a fresh rebuilt engine into another '82 CJ8 a daily driver and broke it in with the DGV that was mounted before the build. Then mounted a 38DGMS and get 17.1 mpg. I must say a lot more power than the DGV so maybe I'm wasting some with it...but I love the punch that the 38 will deliver.

Now with all that said you will notice an improvement with having a Weber instead of the often problematic BBD.

If you haven't already ordered the K551-S (the kit form 32/36DGEV) I recommend you give one more consideration to purchasing the K551-38 instead. I'll suggest a vendor that is willing to set you up with a kit that will include the OEM type air adapter instead of the gauze filter and what I consider a superior linkage to that which you would otherwise receive.
Unread 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
jackmarc
1984 CJ7 

Here we are again...
after some days of meditation I'm oriented on the Weber K551-38DGES. I hope this will be the right chose so, at this point, I need to find the best place where to buy it.
Here in italy it's almost impossible so I ask you suggestions regarding.
I saw that with the K551 you can also retain the original air filter and it's very interesting for me.
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Go here WEBER CONVERSION<br><font color="red">K551-38</font> for the best price that I found available.
As I mentioned earlier the sales person had agreed to substitute the OEM style air filter adapter in place of the gauze filter/assembly found in the typical kit.

That adapter part# 99010.600 will be identical to the one that is included in the K551-S kit...although when used on the 38DGES a bit of milling will be necessary for it to fit the larger passive bowl vent.

I'll be glad to indicate that area...a sharp wood chisel or a sanding pad on a moto-tool is all that is needed to relieve it.

Pierce has agreed to substitute the 99007.116 linkage in place of the bell crank linkage part# 99007.551 should you desire that change...it would allow you a more sensitive feel to the accelerator pedal.

Now, with this being a custom tailored kit a call or email will be necessary rather than clicking on the shopping cart to order...

Steven @ Pierce Manifolds, Inc. 321 Kishimura Dr. Gilroy, CA. 95020 Sales: 1-800-874-3728
Tech: 1-408-842-6667 Fax: 408-842-6673 E-Mail: webercarbs@piercemanifolds.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.